Windows 8 Feedback

Anonymous
2013-05-23T07:31:45+00:00

I wanted to give some feedback on my experience with Windows 8 in general:

Background on my relationship with Windows: I have been using Windows since 3.1. I have been Microsoft's first/ best customer- basically I'm the one lined up the first day a new OS comes out ready to purchase it. It did it with Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows XP was the best thing Microsoft offered very honestly. Intuitive and quick.

I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it was such a complete fail that I had to uninstall it. I should have given Microsoft feedback then but I just didn't. I thought surely you guys would fix glaring issues. You did not. I bought Windows 8 because of the extremely cheap upgrade price- otherwise I would not have done it (I also thought that some things would be fixed but nope- they were not). I am writing this now because I know 8.1 is coming  out and I want to make sure you are looking at all the things that need to be fixed. I told many people after the Consumer Preview came out that 8 would be a complete train wreck/ fail and I see it is from all the reviews and crashing PC sales. When you have Jay Leno on the Tonight Show making fun of it- it is not good. The PC industry relies on Microsoft as well to get it right- you guys have let them down. I just don't see how you got it so wrong guys. You have done a great job for a very long time. Someone needs to be fired at Microsoft for letting the current version out. I'm very serious about that. You don't see this kind of fail at Apple. Someone is just not paying attention and you guys need to figure out what needs to be fixed to make sure it does not happen again. Didn't you do testing with business users and consumers? The current iteration says you did not.

Issues needing to be fixed:

  1. Add the Start button back and don't just have it link to the "Start" page. You need to have it in the same form as previous versions where there is a program list and access to all the different things that users used to have access to.
  2. Boot to Desktop. I have a desktop and do not want to use the "Start" page. I spend 99% of my time in Desktop mode. Or change the Start page so I WANT to use it. In it's current form I hate it. If you guys had the Start screen experience right I in theory wouldn't have to use my Desktop.
  3. Shut down. This is the biggest fail I have ever seen in the history of history. Seriously guys- I had to Google to find out how to turn off my PC. Complete Fail. You can either add this to the Start menu like before or add something to the corner of the desktop. Just do something. You should never have this hidden under 4 steps. The current way is so unintuitive and I'm sure it is a very serious "turn off" to users. Fix it.
  4. The Charm bar on the side of my PC is hard to access. I have a Dell touchscreen for my desktop and I have to continually swipe to try to get it to come up. Fail. I always end up using my mouse to access this. And I HATE having to position my cursor just right to access it. So completely a fail. I'd prefer the charm feature to just die to be very honest and be replaced by the start button where it used to be. There is no value add to having it. I need to be able to quickly and intuitively access my information. The charm bar is neither of these. You shouldn't have to think about where to go to in the charm area for something.
  5. Bring back the old way to Search in the Start menu. The current way is the ultimate in frustration. Some of the ways you have to do a search for certain things that are now hidden in Windows 8 that were not hidden in Windows 7 is crazy. I've even had a Microsoft support person say this. You guys have made something so easy much more difficult and unintuitive. Having to actually type in a search term to find certain parts of Windows: FAIL! There should be a case study written about that on what not to do in an OS. Mind boggling to the max. I don't even know what to say.
  6. Left side bar in the Start Page view to bring up program list. I'm speechless on this one. It is so ridiculous the way it is now I don't even know where to begin. Mind boggling complete full FAIL. Having to scroll to the corner in a very small space (itself very unintuitive)- the go over a little and then go down? And if you mess up with how you move your cursor you have to start over because everything collapses. And you can't access it by touch on a desktop- you have to use your mouse cursor because the activation area is so far in the corner. Really? LOL guys. Who designed this craziness? This is not intuitive! The pics are so small I sometimes can't even see what I need to choose. I just don't know what to say. You went from having clear program icons at the bottom of the screen to quickly and easily go from program to program to this. No. I don't know how you need to change this but it needs to change. There needs to be a static element and there needs to be clear icons for the program choices. I am telling you Microsoft- if this is not changed you will lose your customers. No one wants to deal with the current way of doing this. It is a complete FAIL.

More on this: You have to navigate this ridiculous setup to try and close things running in the background. So unintuitive. And frustrating to the max. I have to find my app then right click and click close? LOL. No. Go to the corner. X out. Done. This x out feature has to be brought back and integrated into the apps. It HAS to be. This is what makes Windows (the old Windows) so great. And you guys killed it with 8! :( I feel like I'm trapped when I open an app- and therefore I use the apps MUCH less. I'm in the Internet Explorer App. I need Excel. I have to: click on the bottom left corner to bring up the start menu- click desktop and find Excel. I could do it through the Start menu but it is so busy that it's hard to find things quickly like I can on my desktop. Now I need to go back to IE. Top corner- over- down- squint to find IE. click. Ugg! What did ya'll do? No! So frustrating - so not Microsoft. You have to design the interface so everything flows. You should not have to even think. I need to be able to click back and forth quickly between apps. Or use touch. Windows 8 is supposed to be about touch and the current setup is so crazy horrible I can't use it like it has the potential to be used. Please put some thought into how to better do this. You guys could really make this great if you wanted to and even make it better than Apple. There needs to be some serious thinking being done. Keywords: Quick. Intuitive. You do this for your customers and you have them as loyal customers like you did with me and every other version of Windows.

  1. Touch- somehow things in your programs need to be more touch friendly. I don't want to have to touch the edges of my screen. Could you design something where a quick double touch anywhere on the screen brings up an open program list to toggle between programs? I just feel totally out of control with Windows 8. Put the user back in control. Larger touch friendly buttons? Everything is designed for a mouse clicker. Change this.
  2. IE app- I really hate this app.
  3. App stability: Horrible. This needs to improve.
  4. The current way on the app screen to have to right click (somewhere in the "grey" area? Really?) to bring up a bar at the bottom then click on something again to control it is so unintuitive. This is one of the worst features of Windows 8. I think whoever designed this particular thing should not have a job at Microsoft. I don't know how to improve this but it needs to be improved. You have to think here. FAIL. It is your job to come up with an intuitive interface so the customer can quickly get to things and feel confident and in control. That is why Microsoft has been successful in the past. You have previously done a great job for your customers. I just feel lost- even after using the system for awhile. Make things easier. You guys really need to put a lot of thought into this interface. Make it simple! The process to add a program as an app to the start screen is ridiculous. If you have to add a couple floating buttons to the Start screen- do it. Maybe "add an app to the start screen". This would make the user feel in control.

Good things:

System stability.

Apps: I think Microsoft has a win with the app approach. It just needs to be tweaked so that I want to use it. Allow me to group types of apps into folders of some sort maybe. I don't want to have to think when I go to access stuff. Right now I have to scan a wall of apps. It's too much. And again- allow me to x out of an app. Allow me to quickly switch between apps in an easier way.

Bottom line: Make it more intuitive. Make the user feel like they are IN CONTROL. Make me want to LOVE to use it- not research how to use every element. There is clear feedback users hate to use Windows 8. You do this and you have a WIN. This is what Microsoft is guys- ya'll can do it. I love Microsoft because of your open nature unlike Apple. Make me WANT to buy your product. Take out all these unintuitive and frustrating roadblocks you've put into Windows 8. You guys have the chance to be the best with the touch interface. DO IT! And advertise how you have changed. Damage has been done but you can turn it around. This is the only OS you have come out with that I've told friends and family NOT to buy in it's current iteration. Give me reasons to change my mind and recommend it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-20T14:25:53+00:00

    It seems to me that Microsoft is always held to a higher standard than anyone else.  Microsoft has to be all and do all for everyone.  But neither Google nor Apple or anyone else is being held to nor has to meet that kind of standard.  People just accept them as they are and just learn to love and adapt to whatever they're doing and how they do it.  It's amazing.  Hey remember the upgrade to XP and all of the 'hate comments' it received?  My what short memories people have.  And now it's hailed as one of the Window version Greats.  Stick to your guns Microsoft and stop "Flip Flopping" and 'Back Peddling".  This is what drives the developers crazy.  Stick with what you've got and keep moving forward.  As long as we can turn things on & off and have options things are all good.

    I have grown to LOVE the start menu.  Especially since you can move things around in order to position the tiles according to how frequently you use them or whatever you'd like.  In 8.1 you can scroll down everything is in alphabetical order and you can just start typing (if you have a keyboard & mouse) and you will automatically be in search mode and the program you want begins to pop up as type and will continue to 'filter' until the program you want is listed.  It doesn't get much better than that.  You can also set the start menu up so it defaults to the alphabetical & search listing.  Or let it default to the 'traditional' desktop screen.  Wow, what flexibility!  It's amazing!  Oh it's so sad most people don't even know this yet they complain.  Yes, you can set your system to work just like Windows 7 or XP if that's where you are.

    I also agree that getting rid of the 'Charms' is a VERY BAD idea.  Especially since you can go into settings and turn them off right now if you'd like.  They work great!  The improvements in the latest 8.1 update are excellent.  And yes, the 'Search' Feature in 8/8.1 are FAR SUPERIOR to that in 7.  Wow, night and day.  Windows 8 IMHO is faster, smoother, nicer looking, better laid out and organized then all previous versions. But yes, it takes getting used to.  I love it. " Who moved the cheese" Lol.  That's it!

    Going back to Windows 7 or XP after using Windows 8 is like going back to tube TV's and cars with cassette & CD combo players in a 'Bluetooth, USB 3.0, Pandora' world. 

    I ran into an issue that I think will be helpful to others & here are a few upgrade pointers: 

    1. If upgrading be sure to understand that there is a difference between a 'software problem & a hardware problem'. 
    2. Not all systems running windows XP/7 or 8 can be upgraded to 8.1 due to HARDWARE & Software DRIVER incompatibilities.  Check with you system MANUFACTURER FIRST before buying an upgrade. Don't blame Microsoft if your DELL or HP, Etc. is having an upgrade problem without 'confirming that the manufacturer actually has 'tested your specific model' and provides the right software drivers, etc. for the upgrade you want to install on your system.
    3. Even upgrading from 8 to 8.1 can be a challenge if your ROM bios is not completely up-to date.  Ask your manufacturer if you have the very LATEST ROM bios on your system.  This is very important when upgrading from 8 to 8.1.  Some manufacturers have simply installed Windows 8 onto older Windows 7 machines and they are not fully compatible due to ROM bios and other specific hardware feature incompatibilities.
    4. Doing a 'CLEAN install' is always the BEST install. Some of your software programs MAY NOT WORK with windows 8/8.1 (again NOT MS Fault).  There are problems that only REINSTALLING your programs will fix.  I recommend doing the clean upgrade first (you can select the install version that allows you to 'KEEP YOUR FILES' but have to REINSTALL your PROGRAMS). 
    5. Be patient.  These installs take time and Windows 8 takes time to get familiar with and to reorient yourself towards.  Once you become familiar and well acclimated to Windows 8/8.1 you will begin to see it's potential and appreciate it.   

    Being aware of and doing these things will better ensure the success of your upgrade.  Moving forward with an upgrade without being confident in these areas could lead to greater disappointment and frustration. So, if necessary, get a Tudor.  :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-20T04:15:52+00:00

    Just want to say that I am a very experienced computer user hailing back to IBM punch card days, then PDP 11's in the days before personal computers.  Am quite happy running Windows 8.1 Update 2 on a vintage 2009 Dell XPS-1340 laptop, a Surface Pro 2, and a Surface RT.  I do find the Start Screen a bit of a sprawling mess and think its replacement by a new, better organized Start Menu that behaves like the Start Screen on a touch-based computer or tablet and more like the old Start Menu in desktop mode with mouse and keyboard will be a VERY welcome improvement in Windows 9.

    Heard that the Charms will be removed from Windows 9, though.  Wanted to protest that as a BIG MISTAKE as I really like the universal availability of the Charms whether in touch or desktop mode.  I particularly make use of the Search Charm (just wish it could be used for more focused searches as was possible in the original Win8.0) but also like the Share and Print Charm universal availability as well.

    I have found Win8.1 to be faster and more stable overall than Win7.  We still have a couple of computers in our house running Windows 7 and when I go back to them, I find Win7 a drag compared to Win8.1, particularly for start-up and shutdown.  I did have to do some hunting for a few drivers for my 2009 Dell laptop (Dell would rather sell you a new computer than provide an upgrade path).  But overall, especially under the hood, I think Win8.x is the best Windows yet and I am really looking forward to Windows 9.  All the whining about Windows 8.x makes me think of "Who Moved My Cheese?!"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-12T21:00:50+00:00

    I agree with you about your experience with Win 8.  I am so glad I was able to uninstall it and go back to Windows 7 which works fine for me.  Quite frankly, I don't hear much from anyone who has really liked the system.

    I purchased two HP desktops from a vendor.  One of the HP All-In-Ones I had to return to Walmart because Windows was not able to register correctly and I could not install " any " of the updates.  The replacement installed correctly, with little issues.  The user, however, had difficulties and is now using a Apple system and loves it.  (the Windows 8 system sits collecting dust ).

    I was able to ( after about 9 hrs. of work ) uninstall Win 8 Pro from my desktop and get a full refund from Microsoft.  I agree with most everything you said in your post.  Keeping Windows 7 and hoping that when I need a new system Microsoft will have another OS which works better than "8" did. 

    Thanks for your post and please know you are not alone !

    Rob709

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-12T17:38:10+00:00

    The more I use it, I like it, "but", notice I said but.  The only problem I've had to deal with mainly is the hanging at shutdown....I noticed that Google Chrome for me at least, doesn't play too well with 8.  But I've figured out how to cut back on so many hangups.

    If I use chrome, I use it okay, but before I shutdown, I switch back to using IE10.  Hangups have cut back quite a bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more