Microsoft can be screwed. A Nam Vet friend of mine gave me the Word Program.
Peter S. López aka @Peta_de_AztlanSacramento, California, Aztlánhttp://twitter.com/Peta_de_AztlanEmail: ******@gmail.comAlternate: ******@yahoo.com
c/s
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I wanted to give some feedback on my experience with Windows 8 in general:
Background on my relationship with Windows: I have been using Windows since 3.1. I have been Microsoft's first/ best customer- basically I'm the one lined up the first day a new OS comes out ready to purchase it. It did it with Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows XP was the best thing Microsoft offered very honestly. Intuitive and quick.
I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it was such a complete fail that I had to uninstall it. I should have given Microsoft feedback then but I just didn't. I thought surely you guys would fix glaring issues. You did not. I bought Windows 8 because of the extremely cheap upgrade price- otherwise I would not have done it (I also thought that some things would be fixed but nope- they were not). I am writing this now because I know 8.1 is coming out and I want to make sure you are looking at all the things that need to be fixed. I told many people after the Consumer Preview came out that 8 would be a complete train wreck/ fail and I see it is from all the reviews and crashing PC sales. When you have Jay Leno on the Tonight Show making fun of it- it is not good. The PC industry relies on Microsoft as well to get it right- you guys have let them down. I just don't see how you got it so wrong guys. You have done a great job for a very long time. Someone needs to be fired at Microsoft for letting the current version out. I'm very serious about that. You don't see this kind of fail at Apple. Someone is just not paying attention and you guys need to figure out what needs to be fixed to make sure it does not happen again. Didn't you do testing with business users and consumers? The current iteration says you did not.
Issues needing to be fixed:
More on this: You have to navigate this ridiculous setup to try and close things running in the background. So unintuitive. And frustrating to the max. I have to find my app then right click and click close? LOL. No. Go to the corner. X out. Done. This x out feature has to be brought back and integrated into the apps. It HAS to be. This is what makes Windows (the old Windows) so great. And you guys killed it with 8! :( I feel like I'm trapped when I open an app- and therefore I use the apps MUCH less. I'm in the Internet Explorer App. I need Excel. I have to: click on the bottom left corner to bring up the start menu- click desktop and find Excel. I could do it through the Start menu but it is so busy that it's hard to find things quickly like I can on my desktop. Now I need to go back to IE. Top corner- over- down- squint to find IE. click. Ugg! What did ya'll do? No! So frustrating - so not Microsoft. You have to design the interface so everything flows. You should not have to even think. I need to be able to click back and forth quickly between apps. Or use touch. Windows 8 is supposed to be about touch and the current setup is so crazy horrible I can't use it like it has the potential to be used. Please put some thought into how to better do this. You guys could really make this great if you wanted to and even make it better than Apple. There needs to be some serious thinking being done. Keywords: Quick. Intuitive. You do this for your customers and you have them as loyal customers like you did with me and every other version of Windows.
Good things:
System stability.
Apps: I think Microsoft has a win with the app approach. It just needs to be tweaked so that I want to use it. Allow me to group types of apps into folders of some sort maybe. I don't want to have to think when I go to access stuff. Right now I have to scan a wall of apps. It's too much. And again- allow me to x out of an app. Allow me to quickly switch between apps in an easier way.
Bottom line: Make it more intuitive. Make the user feel like they are IN CONTROL. Make me want to LOVE to use it- not research how to use every element. There is clear feedback users hate to use Windows 8. You do this and you have a WIN. This is what Microsoft is guys- ya'll can do it. I love Microsoft because of your open nature unlike Apple. Make me WANT to buy your product. Take out all these unintuitive and frustrating roadblocks you've put into Windows 8. You guys have the chance to be the best with the touch interface. DO IT! And advertise how you have changed. Damage has been done but you can turn it around. This is the only OS you have come out with that I've told friends and family NOT to buy in it's current iteration. Give me reasons to change my mind and recommend it.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Microsoft can be screwed. A Nam Vet friend of mine gave me the Word Program.
Peter S. López aka @Peta_de_AztlanSacramento, California, Aztlánhttp://twitter.com/Peta_de_AztlanEmail: ******@gmail.comAlternate: ******@yahoo.com
c/s
SOOOoooooo,
What I want to know is what good is windows and multitasking if you can't do it EASILY-- in overlapping windows?????
Who does on complain to at Microsoft- the home of the Deaf?
Easily the worst piece of software I've ever dealt with. I will never buy another windows Operating system ever, I'd rather burn my PC.
I am not an expert nor incompetent and I hate Windows 8...I feel disoriented and frustrated and I am so sorry I did not talk to anyone nor read reviews before I bought my new laptop with it preloaded.
I agree with most of this except that I "upgraded" directly to 8.1. It still SUCKS for most of the reasons this MS enthusiast posted.
I have many more reasons why I think 8.1 is a POS and I've been a user since MS-DOS (don't remember which version at the moment). What is it with this version (8.1) that dumps all data if it crashes?! When this version crashes I have to go and reset 50% of the programs I use because my preferences just disappear, e.g., Firefox just dumps all of the pinned tabs, the open tabs, etc. and I have to painstakingly go through my History to recover the data I was researching. You guys had this figured out in XP; why is 8.1 such a frustrating, time-consuming POS!?
It makes me want to migrate to Apple. And, by the way, I'm still an MS "customer" (even though you don't seem to listen to any of us anymore) because Apple forces you to compute the way they (the super-super-super smart people) "think" we should all compute! I want options for how I want my data handled and Apple forces you to do it their way or FU. MS used to offer options, but now, MS is saying FU to its customers and then offering an unstable platform too boot (lame pun intended). At least Apple's platform is more stable if we're all forced to compute like mindless Obamatons!!