File transfer of large files suddenly stops

Anonymous
2013-08-14T21:13:39+00:00

Dear community and Microsoft support team,

since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.

When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.

I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.

Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.

On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.

On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.

  • I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
  • I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
  • It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
  • It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
  • I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-11T01:07:21+00:00

    I am having the exact same problem. Large file transfers slow to a halt. When I try to cancel the box doesn't go away. I booted into safe mode and large file transfers work fine. This is all after performing a complete format and reinstall of windows 8 using only the drivers Microsoft automatically installed. Help would be appreciated so I don't have to use safe mode for file transfers. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-03T15:41:59+00:00

    To advise anyone looking at this old thread, it appears the problem hasn't been resolved with Windows 10 either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T04:30:40+00:00

    it happens with normal non locked files.  There are no Windows in the background.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-04T12:41:49+00:00

    This is outrageous. It's been over a year since the issue was brought up and there's still no fix. This literally makes the computer unusable unless all the files you would ever need in the world happen to be on a single partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-08-14T21:56:03+00:00

    what are you trying to copy/move as this can happen with locked/system files and it comes up with a admin box but for some strange reason dont alway sown some time appers behind other windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments