Yup still present But I never had this issue wit xp nor 7 just 8, 81, and 10 you are all better off using a third party file manager. As stated in my last comment One Commander is pretty good, you can find it in the windows store, or use Free File Sync as YikYum recommended.
File transfer of large files suddenly stops
Dear community and Microsoft support team,
since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.
When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.
I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.
Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.
On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.
On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.
- I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
- I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
- It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
- It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
- I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.
Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2019-06-20T18:14:59+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-08-15T18:47:52+00:00 It doesn't matter if an external drive is part of the operation. internal and even the same drives (only different partitions) cause this problem. The external drive i mentioned is already NTFS
-
Anonymous
2017-08-10T12:48:28+00:00 use teracopy, worked for me.
-
Anonymous
2019-02-10T22:08:01+00:00 I have the exact same issue but mine is dealing with large copies to my home network. I have a Windows Server network and a media server so copying large amounts of media files to the server is taking forever. One or two files is quick, but I had to dump a bunch of driver files, 10GB worth over to a network drive and Windows 10 took exactly 57 minutes to do so. That should have taken maybe two minutes on a Gigabit network. Not with the Handy Dandy Windows 10's new and improved file copying!
I've noticed a few things as well that I've tried to rule out. . I have an HP Officejet Pro with a scan to PC feature from the OfficeJet. It keeps the Officejet in constant connection to the PC when online so I can just walk up to my printer/scanner and scan things directly to my PC automatically without having to go through the trouble of scanning from my PC in an application. Whenever I start to copy files over to my network, it keeps popping up telling me the Scan to PC is offline, then reconnects and then goes offline again and again while the copy is happening. This normally ONLY happens when my PC loses connection to the network, like a cable unplugged and so on. It doesn't do it at any other time. other than when I'm copying files through the network now. This is telling me that something is resetting the network connection over and over and over again. It does coincide with the transfer rate hitting ZERO for a period of time. It will go to zero. After about 45 seconds, it will report the Scan to PC is offline, then pop back on that it is reconnected and the file copy will resume. Then rinse and repeat until the copy process is completed. I've tried all matter of changes. Microsoft stock Windows 10 drivers for the NIC and SATA channels, regular drivers, updated drivers and so on I also turning on and off special features of the NIC card thinking they might be arguing with other portions. You know, taking them back to bare bones settings with no frills with 100mb and 1000mb network settings. Nothing works. Once again, I'm giving up on their flagship Windows, writing it off as still just too buggy for me. One major component that I NEED to work no matter what, and it doesn't so I can't switch over until it's fixed. I do hope when that day comes it comes with great fanfare because there are countless people waiting for the same thing to happen. FIX IT ALREADY!!!
This same thing DOES NOT happen in Windows 7. And it's the EXACT SAME hardware and even the same drivers with each install on Windows 10 and Windows 7. But one works and the other doesn't! I have a newer system designed around Windows 10 so you would figure the Windows 7 option would be the worst! NOPE!!!
This is my 11th attempt to move over to Windows 10. I keep giving it another shot from time to time when I have the ability to reinstall, just to see if this is getting addressed, And it's not. Just a bunch of answers that don't really have much of anything at all. Anyone who has been using a PC as long as I have since long before Windows 286 will tell you this is something wrong with Windows 10 that Microsoft refuses to address or bother to fix. I've searched through all of the suggestions all weekend long and NONE of them work or really have much of anything to do with this issue. But they offer them any way to try to appease people rather than fixing the issue itself. Most know that what they are asking you to try is an attempt to blow us off. I'm really over it now. I guess I'll try again in another few months. Maybe this NEW big update they are going to roll out in a few weeks will finally address it? I'm doubtful. This has not realy been addressed since Windows 8.
I had to replace a hard drive this weekend which was why I decided to give Windows 10 another shot after I cloned my working Windows 7 into the new drive. I tried a new reinstall on the old drive fresh from scratch. Still the same thing, I'll now be going back to Windows 7 again until they figure out this massive problem with their new OS. I don't' have time to mess around with their issues. Fix them and then I'll be back.
But REALLY irritates me is that now Microsoft has the gall to start telling me my hardware is too new for Windows 7 and I won't be getting or able to get any new updates with these annoying popups on my screen now. So they took the time to fix that issue and make sure this new popup gots installed on Windows 7 to tell you that you should try their new all-powerful Windows 10, while completely ignoring the fact that their Windows 10 OS STILL has a MAJOR issue going on that they either can't fix or refuse to fix. I honestly think they CAN'T fix it personally. I think this is an anomaly that they can't figure out and this is why it has persisted from Windows 8 to Windows 10. What a joke. Good thing though, if you have to go back to Windows 7 as I do, and still want the updates that are out there, there is a fix you can search for that will tell Microsoft too butt out of your system and let you continue to get and install the updates to your system without their annoying warning to upgrade to Windows 10. So for people like me, we will move over to your new OS when you fix the thing. I know, I know, eventually, updates and the like will stop and go away and so on. That's when you have WSUS offline come to the rescue if they still don't have this fixed by that time. But it's time to gets fixed. Fingers crossed.
For most who have no use or reason to copy large amounts of Data to USB or Network drives or servers, they will never notice this issue. This is why people are calling it the most stable version of Windows EVER! But then you have people like me who know that while things like this are horribly broken, Windows 7 still has that title. I just don't have ANY of these issues with Windows 7. I copy at Gigabit speeds to and from my network without ANY issues. But Windows 8 and Windows 10 broke that. I guess that's part of the "We designed this new OS from the ground up!" comment they made with Windows 8 and 10. Maybe THAT was the big mistake?
Microsoft, Please fix this issue already! I would gladly move over to your new OS if I can actually use it!!! Until then, I'll hold off and wait it out. I need to have my OS be productive and useful. My time is more important than trying to figure out how to fix something that you can't fix yourself. Will I have to wait for Windows 11 or 12, or 13? If history dictates, I'm guessing so.
Let me know! Tom.
-
Anonymous
2014-07-09T22:47:08+00:00 I have the same issue. The transfer will start and appear to be full speed for a half second, then drop to 0 within 2 seconds. I have found a weird way around this. If you have another program access the drive at the same time, it makes the transfer resume. What I do is open a long video file and scrub back and forth really quick until the transfer completes. I had to transfer a 17GB file so I had to continuously scrub my mouse for a good 4 minutes. As soon as I stop scrubbing the transfer goes back to 0MB/s.
Because the player seems to want to cache the video, it's not possible to just let it play, since it will be cached before it finishes. One way around this would be to render some large DPX or other uncompressed image sequences and use some software like Scratch or Premiere to play it back, forcing the drive to constantly read. This is annoying because it puts more bandwidth on the transfer and it won't be as fast.