Linux support is much better than this. I don't think they ever check these forums. We need a windows developer here. They don't use this platform to listen to queries but just expect users to solve problems among themselves. Shameful.
File transfer of large files suddenly stops
Dear community and Microsoft support team,
since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.
When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.
I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.
Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.
On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.
On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.
- I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
- I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
- It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
- It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
- I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.
Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-07-04T04:02:11+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-03-24T18:40:50+00:00 " ... do not look to the screen showing the details ..." Huh? Whaaa??
'Ostrich Fix' above never works for me; Since I cannot Exit/Close the transfer status [Running Actions] window, not sure exactly how to "do not look"
As always, it's extremely gratifying that Micro$oft Windows team(s) promptly & effectively address serious, persistent & aggravating OS issues << Nope, just kidding!!! >>
Re prior post about issue still persisting in Windows 10 - I guess we're all still captive Windows Beta testers!
-
Anonymous
2019-06-10T22:18:16+00:00 The problem is still happening on Win 10 pro 1803...
Manually dragged folders of MP3 files to Flash drive, at one time I had about 15 folders being simultaneous copied. After letting everything finish the copy status window indicates "5 running actions", these copy routines were all stuck at 99%. I let them attempt to finish for 6 hours, no change.
Have used "free file sync" to copy MANY large amounts of files with ZERO problems.
It seems that Microsoft just cannot figure out how to copy or move large groups of files as this problem has been around for a while... Win XP, Win 2000, Win 7, and continues on Win 10.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-02T00:34:24+00:00 Hi,
Glad to know that your issue has been fixed. Reply back if you face any issues with Windows in future.
-
Anonymous
2013-08-15T05:29:24+00:00 it happens with normal non locked files. There are no Windows in the background.
=========================================
I'm wondering if converting the file system of the external
drive to NTFS would improve the issue.
Windows 7 - Convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Convert-a-hard-disk-or-partition-to-NTFS-format