Windows Update error 80072efe or 80072f76

Anonymous
2013-03-31T13:50:13+00:00

I run windows update and it fails with this error message. I have downloaded the cab file and run it locally. I still get this message after it was 'fixed'. It generates a log file that is over ten thousand lines long. There does not appear to be a mechanism for attaching files so I will paste it only on request.

In the meantime here is the outputReport

Proxy :

Last Installed Update :Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems,03/31/2013 13:30:14

Last Displayed Error :2013-03-31 14:32:09:394 1008 1748 AU # WARNING: Install failed, error = 0x80070643 / 0x00009C48

Language settings :en-US

bits : Running

wuauserv : Running

WORKGROUP :XXXX

Windows Update Agent Version :7.6.7600.256

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP: 1

CPU Type : x64

OS Architecture :64-bit

RS_ResetBits : Bits is stopped

RS_ResetBits : wuauserv is stopped

RS_ResetBits : : bits Running

RS_ResetBits : : wuauserv Running

RES_GenWUError : Bits is stopped

RES_GenWUError : wuauserv is stopped

RES_GenWUError : CryptSvc is stopped

RES_GENWUError : : CryptSvc Running

RES_GENWUError : : bits Running

RES_GENWUError : : wuauserv Running

<IE9>

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T00:44:58+00:00

    If you managed to get IE11 installed, you should have been able to get IE10 installed.

    Flash Player for Internet Explorer (assuming it's installed) is indeed a big deal. See http://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb14-18.html

    If Flash Player v14.0.0.176 for Internet Explorer is not installed, IE (and therefore Windows) is not fully-patched.

    Note: Beginning on 09 September 2014, any outdated Java plugins will be "flagged."

    See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/06/internet-explorer-begins-blocking-out-of-date-activex-controls.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T00:00:48+00:00
    1. All installed
    2. Not going to try, flash is not a big deal. 
    3. I am an android developer, I have the latest stable version of java, 32 and 64 bit. I use windows for games. All things considered I will lose windows before I give up on either java or linux.

    I never got to see version 10, I went from 9 to 11 last week.

    And I am done. After a year I have the latest version of ie, which is all I ever wanted. This thread is now closed. I still have a very low opinion of m$ and their dodgy os.

    Anybody else having this problem (see error code in title) I advise you to wait until m$ come up with a solution, but don't hold your breath.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-15T20:18:12+00:00

    Another month, another batch of updates...

    1. Is KB2976897, KB2982791, KB2918614, KB2978668, KB2937610, and/or KB2943357 listed in Installed Updates now?
    2. Can you successfully upgrade to Flash Player v14.0.0.176 (or higher) for Internet Explorer by opening Internet Explorer (ONLY!) to this page? => http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash
    • BEWARE any pre-checked options to "drive-by" install unwanted, third-party software (e.g., Google Toolbar)!
    1. Any particular reason Java is installed? See http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2013/01/java-zero-day-again-time-to.html

    PS: Since you've gotten IE11, let alone IE10, installed now, please post a follow-up to your 08 Aug-14  Comment to a recent IE Blog entry:

    <QP>

    Microsoft cannot even upgrade my browser to version 10. They should concentrate on fixing this rather than just stopping support.

    </QP>

    Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/06/internet-explorer-begins-blocking-out-of-date-activex-controls.aspx

    Thank you.

    PS: IE10/Win7 will be supported through 12 January 2016, IE11/Win7 through 14 January 2020.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-15T10:28:07+00:00
    1. All installed
    2. I have java 8.11 both 32 and 64 bit. I also have the 32 and 64 bit JDKs installed.

    3. ie says I have 11,7,700,169 installed. The other browsers say I have 14,0,0,179 (the commas are theirs not mine)

    1. 8th August 2014 (9 months later!)
    2. Update Versions:11.0.11 (KB2976627)
    3. Yes. (opera 12, opera 23, chrome, firefox, dolphin and tor)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-11T23:06:46+00:00

    Wake up, Harry!

    You post off-topic gripes in a Comment to an IE blog post about "Microsoft" not being able to install IE11 but you never follow-up on your threads here. What's up with that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments