bingdesktop.exe over 20% CPU

Anonymous
2013-04-02T09:16:53+00:00

Hello,

Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses more than 20% of my CPU. 

I'm running W7 on an i7 quad-core with 8GB,

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-06T11:42:40+00:00

Hi,

I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.

Regards

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-10T06:40:53+00:00

    This exact same bug has returned with v1.3.174.0

    On many computers I have seen so not an isolated case.

    (25% CPU use and not updating anymore).

    Hi,

    Try uninstall and reinstall Bing desktop! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-10T04:39:31+00:00

    This exact same bug has returned with v1.3.174.0

    On many computers I have seen so not an isolated case.

    (25% CPU use and not updating anymore).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-08T21:34:59+00:00

    @Milton David Grimshaw, I use two prducts for a reason.

    My Norton as a primary AV whichs scans all my attached drives and then both use their respective Auto-Protect. I also have Spybot S&D which is ran on demand. Had this set-up since 2009 when I was a beta-tester of MSSE.

    Since MSSE doesnt do any scans itself (its too slow and inefficient), neither package has ever presented false positives. The doubling up on the Auto-Protect is benficial since both products are likely to cover each others faults.

    Its a set-up I use on all computers I come across and it has turned people who turn their machine a ticking time bomb into safe havens as no one has ever reported virus issues since. And thats including my grandma!

    I also have three AV running on my server, two lightweight on-demand scanners and AVG Free. Again, no issues in the 6 years thats been running :)

    Ive set a process watch up which monitors Bing Desktop's CPU and kills it if it breaches 10% for more than 30 seconds. Its a temp solution until Microsoft ACKNOWLEDGE the issue and then fix it :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-06T17:51:56+00:00

    @John:

    That was not helpful at all.

    What I need and what not is none of your business.

    The app worked, and after an update it did no longer. MS will fix it sooner or later. Case closed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments