bingdesktop.exe over 20% CPU

Anonymous
2013-04-02T09:16:53+00:00

Hello,

Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses more than 20% of my CPU. 

I'm running W7 on an i7 quad-core with 8GB,

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-06T11:42:40+00:00

Hi,

I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.

Regards

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-06T09:59:38+00:00

    Firstly a message to RichardHaynes, not sure why you are running 2 security products together (Security Essentials and Norton Internet Security), this might not be an issue at present, but could certainly cause you to get false positives in future.

    Here is my thoughts on this.

    Bing Desktop was recently updated (Present digital signature of BingDesktop.exe (‎22 ‎March ‎2013 08:32:24))

    So it looks to me that something in that build is unstable.  It's nothing to do with Browser or AntiVirus, it's a issue with the build.

    Microsoft should re-release the old version, until they have fixed the present issue with this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T21:21:55+00:00

    Same here.

    I must say, Anil's Method 1 bewilders me. I cant see how that has any relevance but oh well....

    I use IE10 as my sole browser so I would be surprised if one Microsoft product would affect another as they would definitely have tested for this combination??

    It is not a virus related issue. I use Security Essentials so I must be safe right? ;) I actually use Norton Internet Security as well so defo not a virus issue.

    This only happened after Bing Desktop updated itself. I must add that I was never informed of an update being available and I am unable to find any text that states that it will silently update. I think a formal complaint will shortly be in order :)

    Killing Bing Desktop and restarting does nothing to solve the problem and it instantly jumps to 13% usage. Something is going wrong and Microsoft need to fix it.

    My version is 1.2.115.0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T11:08:10+00:00

    Phew, I am not alone, glad to see that :)

    My Bing Desktop version: 1.2.115.0

    http://sdrv.ms/YxHhfD

    Screenshot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T07:24:39+00:00

    Hi,

    I have the same problem.

    Since the weekend Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses around 25% of my CPU and the backgound picture does not refresh anymore.

    It happens on both of my laptops, btw.

    Bing version: 1.2.113.0

    Would be great if this could be fixed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments