Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-23T18:59:08+00:00

    I did everything you said to do and the only running process that was using up a bunch of CPU power and memory was the darn Windows Modules Installer Worker.  Can I turn it off or will that screw up my computer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-27T22:49:02+00:00

    when I tried to do the sfc scan it didn't work told me you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-20T14:58:35+00:00

    THE EASY WAY TO PREVENT:

    (WINDOWS MODULES INSTALLER) FROM HOGGING MEMORY

    and HAVING TO WAIT FOR YOUR COMPUTER TO RUN SMOOTH AGAIN !

    WINDOWS 7 VERSION

    -On Keyboard-

    1.  Press Windows Symbol +R together....

    (brings up search window with:   services.msc

    2.  Click - OK

    (brings up - ( Services (local) Window )

    1. Scroll down to:

    ( Windows Module... )

    Double Click it..... brings up Modules Properties....

    4.  Under General Tab go to:

    "Startup Type" 

    You will see 4 options there and click

    "DISABLE"

    IGNORE THE WARNING and Say OK !

    
    I did this over a week ago and had NO Problems with my Laptop since !
    
    ( If this helps you,  please let me know )
    
    Good Luck !
    
    **P. S.  You can always go back and change it to what it was......!**
    
    **Also -  I have Norton Internet Security Installed as well...!**
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-28T15:02:42+00:00

    Please follow the suggestions provided by TnTzz replied on December 19, 2014in the following link:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-modules-installer-worker-high-cpu-usage/bf3dc73e-0b05-4935-920c-22409323f258?page=2

    Please get back to us with the updated status of the issue so that we can work on it to help you better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T13:48:19+00:00

    I agree with the posts. I updated 2 of my computers to 8.1 and am having problems with both memory that I've never had before. If MS is trying to lose customers they are getting ready to lose me. 

    I am not and have no desire to be a programmer and I'm getting a little tired of spending so much unproductive time addressing issues caused by Windows updates. 

    I had 2 computers that had no problems before the latest 8.1 update. Now, I getting ready to find another solution. I haven't liked MS since vista and they're just getting worse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments