Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T03:09:06+00:00

    this program is really annoying, i would be sitting reading a book or even worse sitting in class everyone is quiet and listening to the lecturer and all of the sudden the cpu fan goes apocalypse mode on me.

    i have decided i'm just going to disable all microsoft services that act this way but first wanted to ask if  there will be any serious effect and to me installing and unistalling updates isn't that serious since i have disabled updates for the same reason.

    so can i just disable this service. i have a list of disabled services that i am planning to enable only once a month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T04:25:09+00:00

    Hi,

    You should take a look at Zodiac3011's reply in this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8\_1-performance/windows-modules-installer-worker-high-cpu-usage/bf3dc73e-0b05-4935-920c-22409323f258?rtAction=1418703269012

    I had been in your situation and I fixed it.

    Follow this instruction:

    Go to troubleshooting > System and security > Fix problems with windows update.

    Done. :) Goodluck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-15T23:35:01+00:00

    Trying to scan a single document, to e-mail as an attachment,  and the save is just 'hanging' because WMIW is hogging >50%.

    None of the comments below mean a darn thing to me so what am I supposed to do?

    As far as I can see, all I can do is either use the fax or resort to snail mail.

    MS Garbage

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-29T14:07:28+00:00

    The issue might be due to corrupted user account. As a work around, I would suggest you to create a new user account and check the issues status in the new user account. This helps us to diagnose the issue.

    Create a user account.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-28T16:31:02+00:00

    Note: I just ran dism again. No corruption found. But the Windows Installer Module Worker is working away!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments