How do I remove libraries, favorites from Windows explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-12T04:28:04+00:00

Original Title: How do i remove libraries from explorer?

How do I remove libraries from windows explorer? Everytime I open up explorer it goes straight to libraries and when I right-click it , there is no option to delete libraries.  I have deleted the individual libraries, but when I log out and back in, they come back again.  If I could even move it to the bottom of the Navigation pane or hide it under another folder that would help. 

Would also like to do the same with Favorites.

The only options I have found so far is to download and install batches/scripts, etc.  Is there a simpler way?

I am running Windows 7 , 64bit Home - Premium Edition.  Thanks for any help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-12T17:53:04+00:00

Hi,


You may follow the suggestions mentioned below.


**Registry disclaimer:**This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry


To Remove “Libraries” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

b.     Now go to following key:

c. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder

d.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

e.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

f.      It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

g.     Click on OK button to apply the changes.

h.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to b090010d

i.      Log off or restart your system and "Libraries" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Libraries" in Navigation pane, change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b080010d using step 4.


To Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

a.     Now go to following key:

b. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder

c.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

d.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

e.     It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

f.      Click on OK button to apply the changes.

g.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to a9400100

h.     Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Favorites" in Navigation pane, simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to a0900100 using step 4.

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-23T10:52:44+00:00

    Thanks Julia,

    Seems to have worked.  One annoying feature that is still present is that 'Favourites' are the same in Windows Explorer and in Internet Explorer.  If I change one, it changes the other.  I cannot see why the two need to be connected.

    Just a comment - no need to reply.

    Cheers

    Rupert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-19T10:04:40+00:00

    Hi Rupert!

    You can easily remove Libraries from Windows Explorer by using two .reg files that will save all the trouble of the multiple steps it will take to do this manually. This will not only remove the Libraries link from the pane, it will disable the shell extension in the registry and you will no longer be able to access any of the libraries. Fortunately, another hack is included to enable the Libraries feature again.

    DisableLibariesFeature (via How To Geek)

    To disable the Libraries feature, double-click DisableLibrariesFeature.reg. Now close all Explorer windows and logoff then logon again. The feature will now be disabled. A reversal is included to enable the Libraries feature. To re-enable the Libraries feature, double-click EnableLibrariesFeature.reg. then logoff and logon as you did in the step to disable the feature.

    (source and more information: http://www.ghacks.net/2011/11/07/hide-delete-or-customize-libraries-in-windows-7/ )


    You can easily change the default startup location for the Windows Explorer Taskbar icon to a different location that is more commonly used. How that is done is explained here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17415/set-the-windows-explorer-startup-folder-in-windows-7/


    To pin any folder/file to the task bar, you can use the free little program called TaskbarPinner. Information and Download here: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.108


    I hope these informations help you and other readers of this thread!

    Cheers

    Julia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-19T09:16:43+00:00

    I agree with this. 

    I have tried pinning shortcuts for the folders I use often onto the task bar.  This worked well in previous versions of windows, but now the only shortcut is to Windows Explorer with its infamous 'Libraries'.  I work as a consultant in several countries and have a folder for each with documents and photos.  Now I cannot switch quickly between them.

    I am not prepared to risk using 'regedit'.

    As the owner/driver of a laptop which no one else uses, I also find the whole concept of 'users' annoying and wish I could remove that too!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-22T01:00:51+00:00

    Are these valid for x86, x64 or both?  And do they vary at all by OS type (Home, Professional, etc.)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments