How do I remove libraries, favorites from Windows explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-12T04:28:04+00:00

Original Title: How do i remove libraries from explorer?

How do I remove libraries from windows explorer? Everytime I open up explorer it goes straight to libraries and when I right-click it , there is no option to delete libraries.  I have deleted the individual libraries, but when I log out and back in, they come back again.  If I could even move it to the bottom of the Navigation pane or hide it under another folder that would help. 

Would also like to do the same with Favorites.

The only options I have found so far is to download and install batches/scripts, etc.  Is there a simpler way?

I am running Windows 7 , 64bit Home - Premium Edition.  Thanks for any help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-12T17:53:04+00:00

Hi,


You may follow the suggestions mentioned below.


**Registry disclaimer:**This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry


To Remove “Libraries” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

b.     Now go to following key:

c. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder

d.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

e.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

f.      It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

g.     Click on OK button to apply the changes.

h.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to b090010d

i.      Log off or restart your system and "Libraries" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Libraries" in Navigation pane, change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b080010d using step 4.


To Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

a.     Now go to following key:

b. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder

c.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

d.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

e.     It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

f.      Click on OK button to apply the changes.

g.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to a9400100

h.     Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Favorites" in Navigation pane, simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to a0900100 using step 4.

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T18:51:54+00:00

    Julia,

    I think I made a mistake. The two favourites are now separate.

    Before your post, in my efforts to pin a shortcut for my C drive to the taskbar, I found I could only pin it to Windows Explorer which came up with Libraries.  Then I found a taskbar called ‘Links’ and managed to pin the shortcut to that instead. But I was surprised that it also appeared in Internet Explorer and that conversely my IE favourites also appeared in the Links taskbar.

    Thanks to your post, I have now ridden myself of Libraries and I have also managed to pin links to my C drive and other frequently used folders into the main Taskbar.  Hoorah – back to where I used to be with earlier versions of Windows!  Wish Microsoft would stop trying to manage our lives for us. I am a great admirer of Bill Gates and Microsoft, but I feel that their market research has not included the middle-aged and older single laptop user.

    Thanks again. Rupert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T10:19:10+00:00

    Hi Ronnie!

    Thanks for the clarification!

    Cheers

    Julia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T05:58:58+00:00

    Rupert, I know that you said no need to reply BUT: I think something is  mixed up with your Favorites. Okay, me, I'm a Firefox-user, so I don't really know my way around in IE. But I just tried, I used IE, marked some webpage as "Favorite" and it did NOT show up under my windows explorer favs.  I think that's only normal and logical because, in my opinion, Favorites in the Browser ( egual which) and in Windows Explorer are two totally different "storages".

    I hope someone knowledgeable  reads this and answers.

    Cheers

    Julia

    Hi Julia

    You are correct, the Windows Explorer Favorites are completely different from the Internet Explorer Favorites.

    The Windows Explorer Favorites are stored in the C:\Users\your name\Links folder and are shortcuts to folder locations on the hard drive.

    The Internet Explorer Favorites are stored in the C:\Users\your name\Favorites folder and Web Documents that contain the URL of a website.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-23T22:41:20+00:00

    Rupert, I know that you said no need to reply BUT: I think something is  mixed up with your Favorites. Okay, me, I'm a Firefox-user, so I don't really know my way around in IE. But I just tried, I used IE, marked some webpage as "Favorite" and it did NOT show up under my windows explorer favs.  I think that's only normal and logical because, in my opinion, Favorites in the Browser ( egual which) and in Windows Explorer are two totally different "storages".

    I hope someone knowledgeable  reads this and answers.

    Cheers

    Julia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments