How do I remove libraries, favorites from Windows explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-12T04:28:04+00:00

Original Title: How do i remove libraries from explorer?

How do I remove libraries from windows explorer? Everytime I open up explorer it goes straight to libraries and when I right-click it , there is no option to delete libraries.  I have deleted the individual libraries, but when I log out and back in, they come back again.  If I could even move it to the bottom of the Navigation pane or hide it under another folder that would help. 

Would also like to do the same with Favorites.

The only options I have found so far is to download and install batches/scripts, etc.  Is there a simpler way?

I am running Windows 7 , 64bit Home - Premium Edition.  Thanks for any help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-12T17:53:04+00:00

Hi,


You may follow the suggestions mentioned below.


**Registry disclaimer:**This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry


To Remove “Libraries” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

b.     Now go to following key:

c. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder

d.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

e.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

f.      It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

g.     Click on OK button to apply the changes.

h.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to b090010d

i.      Log off or restart your system and "Libraries" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Libraries" in Navigation pane, change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b080010d using step 4.


To Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

a.     Now go to following key:

b. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder

c.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

d.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

e.     It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

f.      Click on OK button to apply the changes.

g.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to a9400100

h.     Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Favorites" in Navigation pane, simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to a0900100 using step 4.

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-10T17:59:19+00:00

    Libraries are not enabled in win-10

    You'd have to enable them to see anything with Libraries listed :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-22T02:36:15+00:00

    I followed  your steps exactly and STILL have the Libraries in Windows Explorer.  You may like them and find them useful but they are nothing but a hassle to me.  I have my folders and files exactly the way I want them and don't need some library on my system.  Now is there actually any way to remove the Libraries from Windows Explorer so I don't get them every time I try to open or save a file from within an application?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-12T23:59:21+00:00

    Thanks for the help, I thought I may have to mess with the registries to do this, not sure you if  I will, as I'm aftraid I might mess something else up.

    Thank you again for the prompt answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-12T18:06:06+00:00

    Original Title: How do i remove libraries from explorer?

    How do I remove libraries from windows explorer? Everytime I open up explorer it goes straight to libraries and when I right-click it , there is no option to delete libraries.  I have deleted the individual libraries, but when I log out and back in, they come back again.  If I could even move it to the bottom of the Navigation pane or hide it under another folder that would help. 

    Would also like to do the same with Favorites.

    Any particular reason why?

    I find Libraries and Favorites extremely usefull....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments