How do I remove libraries, favorites from Windows explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-12T04:28:04+00:00

Original Title: How do i remove libraries from explorer?

How do I remove libraries from windows explorer? Everytime I open up explorer it goes straight to libraries and when I right-click it , there is no option to delete libraries.  I have deleted the individual libraries, but when I log out and back in, they come back again.  If I could even move it to the bottom of the Navigation pane or hide it under another folder that would help. 

Would also like to do the same with Favorites.

The only options I have found so far is to download and install batches/scripts, etc.  Is there a simpler way?

I am running Windows 7 , 64bit Home - Premium Edition.  Thanks for any help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-12T17:53:04+00:00

Hi,


You may follow the suggestions mentioned below.


**Registry disclaimer:**This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry


To Remove “Libraries” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

b.     Now go to following key:

c. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder

d.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

e.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

f.      It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

g.     Click on OK button to apply the changes.

h.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to b090010d

i.      Log off or restart your system and "Libraries" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Libraries" in Navigation pane, change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b080010d using step 4.


To Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

a.     Now go to following key:

b. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder

c.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

d.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

e.     It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

f.      Click on OK button to apply the changes.

g.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to a9400100

h.     Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Favorites" in Navigation pane, simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to a0900100 using step 4.

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-27T06:41:25+00:00

    I would like the option to simply remove 'libraries' from ALL windows, explorer, inside save/open menu's, etc.

    It was not broken before, I don't see the reason it was changed, in xp you could set specific folders as you wished, set default download locations easily, and could have it 'remember' your default choices for different file types. Now for the most part, your stuck with what microsoft decides is 'best for you' when in most cases, its not.

    I Also think the libraries navigation panes just looks sloppy and unprofessional, as an example, I prefer to have a simple /d:mystuff folder with my music, video, etc inside that, now the navigation pane refuses to just accept THAT and instead lists a path like : C:\Users\Public\Libraries\Video.library-ms

    This is WITH ALL the 'remove libraries' fixes in place.

    I simply and only want to completely remove the whole 'libraries' feature from my windows. Not get told how 'amazing' the feature is, or explained how to use it, I JUST WANT IT GONE. FOR GOOD.

    Please Microsoft, stop deciding what 'is best for us' and stick to the old, classic, 'what works'

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-10T04:34:04+00:00

    Just read the answers in following thread to get some more clues why people may not want libraries

     http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_7-files/turning-off-libraries-in-windows-7/18d001dc-5319-440b-b29c-d348f81c929c?tm=1349841992805

    I personally store my data often in topics folders, so there is a mix of pictures, documents and media data gathered up to form a logical unit.

    Libraries break up that unit for no reason.

    If I want to find all my data of a kind I use a search filter (I use the tool "everything" to search which is superfast with a very low footprint!)

    Microsoft has the habit to introduce automatisms which may make some peoples lives easier but I found that many people think and work differently to what Microsoft forces them to.

    Especially older people or non computer addicts get confused if data is treated differently depending on the type or location of data. Most people want simple structures and follow the same steps for the same kind of task. (different folder views, re-arranging menus according to usage, library views etc. make them view computers as complicated and difficult to operate)

    Thus features should always have the option to turn them off or better yet be off initially and have the option to enable them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-22T15:38:18+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-13T00:06:50+00:00

    The main reason I want to delete libraries is because we were using the Home Sharing until we recently purchased  new laptop.  The new laptop does not work if we have IPv6 enabled.  The Event Viewer fills up with errors and the laptop continually freezes up.  I have researched that issue and it says to disable IPv6 and only use IPv4, when I do that the Laptop works great.  However, if someone forgets and starts using the libraries again, we then get all the error messages that IPv6 needs to enabled. By removing the Libraries feature, was hoping to eliminate that issue.  

    I would prefer to get the IPv6 working, but after a month on that have given up.

    As far as the Favorites go, it does not really bother me, just wish a way to move it to the bottom of the navigaion screen as we don't use it, but its always the first listed item.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments