FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:
Want to find out if this was scam .
I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .
Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Crystal,
To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.
We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.
Do let us know if you have any other concerns.
41 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-03-01T16:26:22+00:00 Yes, definitely a scam, never EVER let anyone who claims to be from a support service to access your PC until you are 100% sure they are legitimate. Most of these guys will just trawl your files looking for bank details and will ask you for crazy amounts of money for support, you will then be left with no money and will then have serious problems with your bank as you will have to then get them to make various changes or blocks to your account to stop them taking even more from you.
Regards,
M
-
Anonymous
2017-02-28T17:29:42+00:00 I called the number on the pop-up and they asked for my name and birthday. I gave it to them and then they asked me to Run "www.fastsupport.com" so I went and they had me punch in a security code. It then opened a program called GoToAssist on my computer and they asked me to download it but I didn't want to, so I hung up.
-
Anonymous
2017-01-11T01:33:53+00:00 But since you did let them in your computer, you have to assume you may have been compromised.
From Quietman, see: I have been hacked...What should I do?Next, follow the instructions here even if the pop up is gone. [http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/](http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/) Also run this tool. SuperAntiSpyware (Free version) [http://www.superantispyware.com/](http://www.superantispyware.com/) And see: PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Risehttps://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/