FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:
Want to find out if this was scam .
I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .
Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Crystal,
To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.
We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.
Do let us know if you have any other concerns.
41 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-01-02T23:21:15+00:00 Hi Gill,
Since this thread has already aged, we highly suggest you to create a new thread for this issue. Make sure that the correct tags are set, and include all the details on your post, so that the community members would be able to provide assistance.
We look forward to your post.
-
Anonymous
2017-01-01T17:44:57+00:00 We had a variation on this theme several weeks ago, so I can't remember the details, but something strange happened on our computer, where we had a page come up saying we had a problem and to ring a number, and it all looked kosher. Ended up talking to a man with the usual foreign accent, told me to do the same things - typing in Fast Support. A list of supposed hackers, Russian, he told me, came up. He said of course that he could sort it out, but I had the 6th. sense, and before long he just hung up on me.
The number may have been the same as above, but I can't be sure.
So it is not always the incoming phone calls to beware of!
-
Anonymous
2016-12-22T19:37:12+00:00 So this exact thing happened to me just today...
I got a call from a California (415) area code. Picked up to hear a middle eastern man on the other line. He told me he was from Microsoft Tech Support and that they'd seen that I had tons of malware/viruses/attacks (whatever) on my new laptop. I asked him how he got this information and he said that he was connected to my computer and that Microsoft was being notified about the attacks. He told me to (Windows+R) to the Run box, and type in Eventvwr. He showed me over 2thousand errors, etc. Still freaked out, I asked what could be done about it. He said I probably downloaded something that granted access to some hackers. I specifically asked "which program is causing the issues?" Perhaps I'd get an idea of how it all came about... recall downloading said program, etc. He told me he'd be able to tell me soon.
I specifically asked how he could reassure me that he was actually calling from Microsoft. How I could know that he wasn't a hacker himself. He said he'd be able to confirm my IP address... something still didn't feel right.
I was told to type in the 'fastsupport/#####' into the Run box again. It took me to a site on my Chrome browser and automatically downloaded a program... 'assist' something. So I stopped and told him to 'hold on'.
I looked up the site name and the program name on Google, while having him on the phone, and saw this thread... as well as others... OK. So he was a scammer.
Told the fella that "I'd call him back in a few". He said he'd stay on the line and wait because he wanted to help me. Asked if I could simply RUN the program and when I was done, he'd be able to help. I hung up and called Microsoft Tech Support who confirmed everything. It's a complete scam.
Spent an hour terrified that I'd given him access to my phone by going to the site. Paid for a Microsoft Security subscription and had an actual tech scan the computer, remove all potential malware, and reassure me that I didn't give him access to the computer.
Sheesh...
***Can you believe the A**HOLE called me back an hour later???
The number was 14155994632
Beware folks