Output to 2 sound cards Simultaneously

Anonymous
2010-02-08T01:06:27+00:00

I have many reasons why I would want to output to multiple sound cards simultaneously. I know I am not the only one who was this problem based on a couple quick bing searches. 

I would like to be able to output sound to multiple sound cards at the same time instead of having to switch the "default device" in the audio panel all the time I want them ALL to be the default device. I want to use my USB headset and my speakers at the same time. I know windows is capable of this because while one is playing I can "test" the other and they both play sound at the same time

As far as I know there is simply no setting for this. PLEASE HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-08T20:07:19+00:00

Hi,

Unfortunately this cannot be accomplished, as it is by-design,

Here only one device can be marked as default device, for more information follow these below steps.

  1. Click Start, type Sound in the Start Search box.
  2. Click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.
  3. Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device.

As this is a by-design issue, there would be nothing much we can do from our end.

If you want to suggest change in the design here is the link you can refer to:  Microsoft Connect - Product Feedback and Bug Reporting | Microsoft...

https://connect.microsoft.com/dashboard/info/ 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-29T16:13:56+00:00

    Again, my situation is different from others mentioned in the previous posts but the fact that Windows 7 SP1 did everything to install and configure the two sound cards AUTOMATICALLY I fail to understand the issues mentioned regarding the problems to make that happen.

    Yes, your situation is different - you clearly say you are using two identical sound cards. This is supported in Windows and you can have as many as you've USB or PCI slots - provided they are all using the same driver.

    My own issue is with two different external sound cards. The OP was about a USB headset and onboard sound (to speakers) probably via MME rather than ASIO as you and I would be using. So a slightly different setup to your studio and in no way related to your carefully considered response. 

    Thanks though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-02T15:24:33+00:00

    Wow! Could you please tell how to make properties like this:

    1. start audio repeater with Windows (10)
    2. Make it open in tray
    3. set Input (my input device)
    4. set Output (my output device)
    5. set Bits per sample =24

    And may be you could help with the best way to add VST filters (or others) in to Windows 10's audio system (to make changes to all output signals) Since me (and other people) looking for the best way to add "channel crossfeed" filter for headphone users! And yeah - Microsoft should add VST support for sure...

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments