windows 7 resolution changes at startup

Anonymous
2010-05-09T19:40:57+00:00

hello everyone im working on a friends computer that has windows 7 home editoon 32 bit installed and they have been haveing a problem with the resolution changeing at startup from 1280x768 down to 800x600 every time they reboot the computer i have bee trying to figure this fro a while now and with no luck at all with it i have been going over some other forums but none of them pertain to windoews 7 they are either for xp or vista related but one of them did mention about a program(yahoo messenger) that at startup it would change the resolution so im kinda wondering if that might be the culprit or something else

dell vostro 200

intel video onboard

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-10T15:42:48+00:00

Hi,

1.       Did you make any changes to the computer off late?

2.       Have you updated the display drivers?

3.       Do you have any games installed on the computer?

I would first suggest you to check the computer manufacturer`s website for the latest drivers available and update the same.

Games often change the screen resolution and so do some other programs. You can try performing a clean boot process to find out if there is any program or application causing this issue. Follow this Knowledge Base Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Make sure you put the computer back to Normal Startup once troubleshooting is completed.

Regards,

Syed N – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-26T23:33:41+00:00

    Disable the " Windows Live Mesh Remote Connections service"  this service was the direct cause of my computer resizing the resolution to 1024x768. Disable the service and restart. Some others have had success with uninstalling windows live mesh and reinstalling it. If you dont use the remote desktop connection in windows live mesh then this service can remain disabled.   To disable the service go to " control panel" "system and security" "administrative tools" " services" find " Windows Live Mesh Remote Connections service" right click then properties and change the startup type to disabled. if anybody knows where to change the service so that it doesnt resize the resolution; that would be great.

    Thank you so much! I have been searching for a solution to this for almost 4 hours now and was about to give up. Finally I found your solution which actually solved my problem and the resolution now stays at the correct 1920 x 1080 every time I boot up the computer!!

    I am posting my problem below for others who would like this information for troubleshooting purposes in the future.

    I purchased a widescreen monitor for my desktop computer which previously had an old CRT monitor in its place. Whenever I would boot up my PC the screen resolution would be correct for a few seconds (1920 x 1080) but then would randomly revert back to the resolution of my old CRT monitor (1280 x 1024).

    Thank you again, preludeinsanity! You are a lifesaver!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-02T16:12:00+00:00

    What a relief to finally find an answer to my resolution re-sizing annoyance! Preludeinsanity's Live Mesh advice was the solution. I uninstalled/reinstalled Mesh and voila!-it worked! thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-17T23:51:45+00:00

    THANK YOU! This was the first bit of advice on this issue that has actually worked for me (My issue is occurring whenever I start Media Center, but otherwise identical) - I still have a resolution-changing problem, but before getting rid of Live Mesh, it would also briefly change Color-Depth, causing 7MC to crash and tell me to change my Color settings,in effect making Media Center unusable; As a note, my resolution is changing from 1080p to 800x600, rather than 1028x720.

    System is as follows:

    Win 7 Ultimate

    MB: Foxconn A7GM-S (AMD 780G chipset)

    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 running @ 2.3 Ghz

    RAM: 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800

    GPU: PowerColor Radeon 5450

    Boot-Drive: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB

    Media Storage:

       4x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

       1x Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB

    TV: LG 42LD450 42" LCD

    Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC230

    Problems did not start appearing until Receiver was added in between PC and TV (Previous setup had Video directly to TV, Audio to old Receiver via Optical). Hope this helps anyone suffering from same problem. And thanks again!!!

    EDIT: I found a complete fix for the issue I was having - I needed to replace my monitor driver with one containing a custom EDID; while the one I found was meant to fix bit-streaming audio over Radeon 5xxx series video cards, it also resolved the Resolution issue. 7MC still tries to switch resolutions when it starts, but now the resolution it is switching to is the one already there, so it is no longer an issue. For anyone else with this problem, check the guideHERE , while I went through all the steps in the guide, I finally just tried a premade one for a TV-Receiver combo of the same brands as mine, different models, but it worked perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-14T05:05:45+00:00

    Disable the " Windows Live Mesh Remote Connections service"  this service was the direct cause of my computer resizing the resolution to 1024x768. Disable the service and restart. Some others have had success with uninstalling windows live mesh and reinstalling it. If you dont use the remote desktop connection in windows live mesh then this service can remain disabled.   To disable the service go to " control panel" "system and security" "administrative tools" " services" find " Windows Live Mesh Remote Connections service" right click then properties and change the startup type to disabled. if anybody knows where to change the service so that it doesnt resize the resolution; that would be great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments