Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Anonymous
2023-02-12T03:25:19+00:00

Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Microsoft Edge | Browser crashes or stops working | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-11T19:59:32+00:00

    I to had win 11 up to date as well as Norton. on My windows 11 machine this is what I did to fix it.

    Opened file explorer to the below path: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\MicrosoftFind "Edge" folder.Delete that folder.After i did that I click on the edge icon on my task bar to open Edge. it opened and stayed open for me.

    But some of the settings that were on it before were not the same. Ie appearance went back to initial settings as well as my vertical tab settings, probably some others that i haven't noticed yet. But all my favorites remained. I can now use Edge again on My win 11 computer. Remember this was a last ditch effort from me being so frustrated. So if you do this I can't be responsible for your particular set up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T03:03:54+00:00

    hi i had all these problems and more,this is the only thing that worked for me. 1. open file explorer to C:\Users*username*\AppData\Local folder.

    navigate to the microsoft folder; C:\Users*username*\AppData\Local\Microsoft

    1. navigate to the Edge folder; C:\Users*username*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge
    2. navigate to the "user Date" folder; C:\Users*username*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data
    3. find the Default folder and rename this to original-folder;
    4. then restart Edge

    This will reset Edge to a default new profile startup; if your information is synced to Microsoft; the shortcuts and links and passwords will be restored from the Internet based on the last time it was synced up.

    i used this from someone elses thread (i dont know how to leave a link from it) after days of searching and trying everything this was the only thing that worked. hope it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-15T15:18:33+00:00

    The 'Fix' I was given today by Microsoft is, go to:-

    C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data

    Re-name the Folder 'Default' to 'Default_old'

    Now re-start Edge

    Worked perfectly for me !

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-14T14:49:59+00:00

    I had the same issue, I fixed by removing the opening page.

    Start, home / When Edge starts / Open a new tab page

    FYI My opening page was in the file system and was working fine at least the last five years.

    The last update of OS (Win 11) or Edge this issue appeared

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T04:23:24+00:00

    Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

    I understand the issue you have, nothing to worry I am here to help, we need to re-calibrate the edge and repair it so that we can fix the issue, kindly follow the steps below:

    Method 1. Repair Microsoft Edge

    Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features

    Scroll down and look for Microsoft Edge

    Click on Edge> Click Modify

    Then follow the prompts to repair.

    Method 2. Repair Windows Store and apps (Such as Edge):

    On Powershell(admin), copy and paste the command below:

    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    Then hit Enter, once the process is done, restart the PC and check.

    Method 3. repair Windows Store and update components

    Open Powershell with Admin or CMD with Admin (Press Windows key + X then click Windows Powershell(Admin))

    Copy each line of command to Powershell then press enter (one line at a time)

    net stop bits

    net stop wuauserv

    net stop appidsvc

    net stop cryptsvc

    Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*"

    rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q

    rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q

    regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll

    regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll

    regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll

    netsh winsock reset

    netsh winsock reset proxy

    net start bits

    net start wuauserv

    net start appidsvc

    net start cryptsvc

    -Once done restart the device and check.

    Let me know how it goes and I hope that helps.

    Bernard

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments