Restore Previous open tabs after Windows Update

Anonymous
2021-03-22T18:16:18+00:00

An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium.  I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work.  I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost.  You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.

Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?

[Original Title: Edge Chromium]

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-07T14:39:40+00:00

    When I'd close down Edge &/or restart, there used to be a box that came up when I'd open Edge again, asking if I wanted to restore my last session. I loved that & used it ALL the time. But now its gone. The past several days or so, that box is not coming up asking if I want to restore my last session. I'd like to know why? Or where is it? Or how do I get it back?

    I can't remember all of the tabs I had open or the sites for them after restarting. So now all of my work I had(all the tabs I had open) are now gone. & I have no idea how to get them back since the restore box isn't showing now. I'm NOT happy! Was there an update that removed this restore box, moved it or did something else with it? I'd like for them to put it back please!!!

    Now I have NO idea what tabs I had open, what they were or where they are now. Thanks A LOT!!!... joking!

    Please please please put the restore last session box back, PLEASE!!! Or at least let me know where it is or how to access it again. PLEASE!!!!!!

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-14T19:52:38+00:00

    I am SO frustrated. MS keeps doing updates without notification and then all my open working windows and tabs are lost when it restarts. Back to zero. I have spent the last hour doing searches to see how to recover or at least have my settings to that this stops happening. History setting doesn't show my previous working tabs.

    This is VERY frustrating. Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T20:04:47+00:00

    Ben,

    Before we accidently clicked the right "X" to close all Edge tabs, it would ask, "do we want to close all tabs." Now it doesn't! How stupid is that? You have something right then change it. The box in the history does not exist.

    Now I've lost what I was doing. I HATE Edge!

    Betty

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-08T11:56:22+00:00

    @iFiredog,

    Humoring your belaboring,... as I already answered your question, the answer to your repeated question, again, remains the same as previously stated. No, this does not work on a Windows 10 and Edge browser, with all the latest updates applied.

    Also stated in response to your repeated queries - considering the obvious questions and clear limitations of the setting's stated design (understood by anyone doing a simple review of the settings page), this is NOT the design people need, in the very common case of multiple browser session/windows. Why? the assumption of the design won't know which of the open windows to restore, upon restart/reboot after a automatic shut-down from a windows update, or other EDGE browser window close event. But, since it doesn't work, no one can actually test it reliably.

    [FWIW, I have tested this on the latest unreleased developer version of EDGE, and, well, it's broken there too.]

    Please don't assume that I have not already reported this design flaw to the EDGE dev team. I'm well plugged in there.

    That's it for me. Carry on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-06-02T07:42:39+00:00

    ... as soon as I opened Edge to point it to the recovery file, the promising looking Tabs files in my Sessions folder were immediately destroyed ...

    I'm so sorry I missed a step in the instructions, precisely to avoid the event you experienced. I'll reproduce them here with the missing bits, in case anyone stumbles over this thread in the future. These instructions are for the Default profile; change the path as appropriate for other profiles, e.g. Profile 1.

    <ol style="margin-left: 40px; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)"><li><p>Close down all Edge instances.</p></li><li><p>Copy this path:<br><strong>%localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default</strong></p></li><li><p>Open File Explorer (Winkey + E), paste into the address bar and press <em>Enter</em>.</p></li><li><p>Open the folder called <em>Sessions</em>. Each file in that folder contains details of the current and at least one previous session.</p><ol style="margin-left: 40px"><li><p>If you see a file called <em>Tabs_{long number}</em> whose modified date corresponds to the session you lost, you're in luck. Copy the file to a safe place (e.g. your desktop).  </p></li><li><p>If you don't see any file from the lost session, right-click on the <em>Sessions </em>folder and select <em>Restore previous version</em>. If you see a previous version with a likely-looking date, click <em>Restore > Restore to </em>and choose a folder to restore to, e.g. on your desktop. </p></li></ol></li><li><p>If you found a likely-looking <em>Tabs_... </em>file,</p><ol style="margin-left: 40px"><li><p>Open Edge and navigate to <a href="http://lsauer.net/chrome-session-restore/#.YFnaehCnxEY" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer nofollow">Chrome Session Restore / Recovery of corrupted Session files (lsauer.net)</a></p></li><li><p>Follow the instructions on the page to inject the file you saved at (4) above either by drag-and-drop or by using the <em>Choose files </em>box.</p></li><li><p>The small arrow ⏷ should reveal the tabs from the session concerned. Each entry is a link to the page, so you can open the ones you want in the current Edge session.</p></li></ol><p style="color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)"></p></li></ol>

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments