Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
An unscheduled reboot of Windows 10 to install updates has deleted all of my open tabs in Edge Chromium. I have no way to restore the previous session, and the "reopen closed tabs" option does not work. I have solved the problem for future tabs by selecting the "Continue where you left off" options in the "On startup" settings, but that does nothing to help me with the tabs I have already lost. You'd think there'd be an easy solution to this with as easily as Windows 10 reboots without permission, but I have yet to find one.
Any help for this annoying (and counterintuitive) issue?
[Original Title: Edge Chromium]
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
That is Why I like more Firefox and Chrome. they do a better job than MS Edge. This is a critic.
Microsoft still running the same issue and doesn't fix the issue with the patches.
I have checked "Open tabs from the previous session" in my settings and it never works. When Edge closes unexpectedly, and I restart Edge, the option to reopen last session is greyed out. If an update is applied and the system reboots, the option is greyed out. This sucks. I was working on my Ancestry and had dozens of pages open to research and now they're all gone. I've been working on then for weeks now and it will take me weeks, if not months to find and figure out where I was again. This is unacceptable. Edge is the worst browser on the planet. Pages don't load correctly, radio buttons don't work, sending yourself links like password hints are never received and a host of other problems occur whenever I use it.
@iFiredog
Two things...
AND
Here's why (and you could see for yourself by just trying it out...)
a. That feature IF IT WORKED would force ALL or just THE LAST window to open with tabs..., Since the feature doesn't work, we don't know what assumption (ALL or THE LAST) window(s) it would apply that setting to.
b. Why is EDGE making that assumption? Beats me, but it will be the wrong assumption over 50% of the time.
c. Like most of us, we have multiple browser windows open across multiple (I have three) monitors/screens. So, the probability it would get the assumption wrong is very high. (SW Engineers typically have multiple monitors..., how could they not have observed this themselves in designing this, coding it, and testing it?)
Please examine how the Chrome feature works. It is designed for MAXimum flexibility and gives the user their choice at start-up, the user CAN PICK AND CHOOSE what window and tab configuration they want to reload. AND after it opens that config, it removes that config from the HISTORY list, as it is saving the NEW set of tabs for the opened browser window in it's stack for the next reboot or window close event..., and if you go back to HISTORY, only the remaining tab-sets are available for restoring in a new Chrome window.
The best advice I can give is to tell someone in SW Engineering on the EDGE team, to go try this out on Chrome..., it is elegant, and meets the needs for Browser Window restore options - with tab-sets.
I tried resetting the tabs to reopen as you suggest. After my computer did another update, it closed all the open tabs and did not offer to restore. I used to get a prompt to restore the recently opened tabs.
@iFiredog.
As described by posters trying to solve their "restore tab-sets from a previous browser session) in this thread. I thought that was clear...,
Specifically in posts responding to the suggestion that the setting is the solution that say (paraphrased) "it doesn't work, for them."
Certainly, it doesn't work in my EDGE which I use over Chrome. It's design is faulty as it doesn't cover the common use-case of multiple browser sessions across 1, 2, 3 and more monitors running cloud-based apps, searches, browsing sites, ..., you know, the stuff typically done in a browser in 2021.
This is "the one" drawback I see in using EDGE. I still use it - and pray that someone takes this issue seriously and does a redesign. All one has to do is look at what Chrome has done..., it's very clear how "restore tab-sets in a browser window after shut down or reboot or browser close" should work to support the way people work on their multi-screen and multi-browser environments.
That's about all I can help you with. pretty much repeating myself..., and the previous posts in this thread.
Cheers.