How to turn off Surface Pro monitor only WITHOUT it sleeping?

Anonymous
2013-06-25T07:44:51+00:00

I've read many question posted similar to this.  The truth is none of them answer it. Let's change that or at least get Microsoft to do something about it. Every other computer in the world can do this...why not the surface pro!!! I see the exact behavior occur that I desire when I go to second screen only option...but it doesn't stay there.  For obvious reasons....we need a new power option! Does anybody know how to effectively "yell" at Microsoft?

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-19T00:48:23+00:00

Greetings Mark,

The best option available, is while the Surface is connected to a second monitor, to set it to "Second screen only".

You can do this by:

  1. Swipe from the right
  2. Touch Devices
  3. Touch Second Screen
  4. Touch Second Screen only.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T05:25:48+00:00

    Check to see if the "hot corner" feature is still in the screensaver option (under advanced settings).  If still available, turn off the settings for "Screen" and "Sleep Mode" so that they do not activate and then set the screensaver to "blank" and a number of minutes to include activating the settings for "hot corners".  That way, you can turn on the screensaver manually by simply moving the mouse pointer to a corner.  Tap any key or move the mouse to reactivate the screen.

    I used to do this a long, long, long, long time ago when needing a program to run in the background while the machine was unattended.

    I will be setting up my Pro 3 later on today to double check the settings to see if any of these features are available.

    NOTE:  I just checked the screensaver settings on the machine I am on now and the hot corner feature is gone.  Just set the number of minutes to activate when idle and that should work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T05:08:30+00:00

    Thanks - but this is not the answer. It is cumbersome and requires having to wait for the time set for the screen to turn off or turn off screen saver and wait....would find this very annoying. What is needed is a simple 'ctrl' option to turn the screen only on and off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T04:51:15+00:00

    Actually, the function is there in "Settings" under the "Display" section.  Under "Screen", you set the number of minutes for the screen to turn off, but you will need to shut off sleep mode.

    The only other option is to shut off sleep mode and set up the screensaver to "blank" (black screen).

    I am on a machine right now that is the standard RTM version of Windows 10 and not the Pro 3 with the Insiders Build installed to use for reference and have not had a chance to double check it.  If it is gone, use the screensaver option but you do have to turn off the sleep mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T04:47:01+00:00

    I agree tomdeloford - this simple annoying issue has not been resolved and why the dickens not for goodness sake? Grrrrrr.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments