Surface Laptop 3 Keeps Dropping Wi-Fi signal

Anonymous
2020-03-25T00:35:42+00:00

I preordered my surface laptop 3 and ever since I've had it, I noticed that the wifi would stop working at least once an hour for 1-2 minutes. Is anyone else having the same problems?? All of the other devices I use in my house don't have this problem.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Network

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-16T14:11:33+00:00

    New diver was better but still does it, just not as often. 

    I traced the problem down to a router setting for multiple access points. As I don't use multiple access points, I just disabled the setting.

    On my ASUS wifi router, it's called 'Fast Roaming'. If it's enabled, just disable it (for me, it was a Marwell Avastar Wireless AC adapter so this may not be applicable to Intel based wifi adapters). The symptom was that it connected to wifi, got an IP address, but showed 'No Internet'.

    Hi,

    I tried finding my router in settings, but it is only listed there. There is no option to modify it at all. How do I do what you did above? I have a Verizon ActionTec Router. Please help.

    I have an AMD processor so downloading the Intel driver did not help at all.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-21T18:38:22+00:00

    Yes that is disappointing! It's even more disappointing for me when I have my org purchase 15+ Surfaces and we have to return them all. 4/15 of them had defective hardware and I believe all of them have issues staying connected to wifi, unable to video conference on MS Teams / Zoom / Webex , constant disconnects with VPN.... I could go on... but these should be recalled

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-21T17:46:42+00:00

    Mine still stops at least once a day. wifi shows connected but no internet connectivity untill I hit repair then it starts working again. Other devices on same wifi are fine. ip status looks fine, tried setting it to a fixed ip and forced gateway, same problem. Very disappointing after paying big bucks expecting a quality product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-05T08:55:17+00:00

    New diver was better but still does it, just not as often. 

    I traced the problem down to a router setting for multiple access points. As I don't use multiple access points, I just disabled the setting.

    On my ASUS wifi router, it's called 'Fast Roaming'. If it's enabled, just disable it (for me, it was a Marwell Avastar Wireless AC adapter so this may not be applicable to Intel based wifi adapters).)

    The symptom was that it connected to wifi, got an IP address, but showed 'No Internet'.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-18T16:40:00+00:00

    Give this a try.  It seems to have fixed my problem.  On Intel's website, there is a driver download tool that does a scan of your system and automatically does driver updates.  One of those updates was to update the firmware and card that I believe is the culprit.  I did this about a week ago and the updates seem to have corrected any issues.  ie, I don't open my surface from sleep and then have to manually reconnect and no signal drops since either.

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

    I had a number of updates that Microsoft has yet to push out.

    This worked for me! My Internet Speed Test results went from something like 40mbps to 200mbps, far more aligned with my gigabit speed. Thank you so much for posting this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments