SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found Error in Event Log

Anonymous
2020-01-21T23:09:30+00:00

Hi, 

I have a Surface Pro X, and I was checking the event log, and I can see many errors from SurfaceOemPanel, but they all state that "The description for Event ID 512 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

Same for Event ID 514.

Not sure what this error is, and what is the issue, but I have been facing problems with Skye For Business, and I think these events are related.

Thanks

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-23T22:21:01+00:00

    So, I had the same 514 Event ID error. From this thread a previous poster noted that when the Surface devices isn't plugged into the dock, the error isn't available. When it is connected, the error appears in event viewer. To clear this up, I checked device manager and noticed that Windows was using a generic monitor driver. I went to the manufacturers website, downloaded and updated the driver. The event ID is no longer in my event log. HTH.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-13T16:47:49+00:00

    I did a surface pro firmware update and it fixed my problems.  Ahhhhh Sweet Success

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-12T15:37:24+00:00

    I am having the same issue with my surface pro attached to two external monitors.  One blacks out and occasionally comes back, the other drops to super low resolution.  Tried windows update and driver updates, but no improvement.

    Log Name:      Application

    Source:        SurfaceOemPanel

    Date:          2/12/2020 8:52:45 AM

    Event ID:      514

    Task Category: None

    Level:         Error

    Keywords:      Classic

    User:          N/A

    Computer:      DESKTOP-2DTLR85

    Description:

    The description for Event ID 514 from source SurfaceOemPanel cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

    <System>

    <Provider Name="SurfaceOemPanel" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49153">514</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-02-12T14:52:45.954348500Z" />

    <EventRecordID>16051</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>Application</Channel>

    <Computer>DESKTOP-2DTLR85</Computer>

    <Security />

    </System>

    <EventData>

    </EventData>

    </Event>

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T22:17:24+00:00

    Interesting, was wondering if you have an external monitor attached to your laptop. 

    Surface Pro 7 is not a laptop, just a tablet. Nothing is attached to my tablet so your specific hardware setup should not be related to the error message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T12:11:59+00:00

    Hi and thanks for the reply, 

    I have tried the suggested action but still the same error is still coming in the Event Log.

    Skype for Business hangs and crashes from time to time, I have a separate question with you on that is being answered by someone else, and she actually pointed out to me the problems in the events logs that I am raising here, and suggested that this needs to be looked at. so this is why I am raising this question here.

    I am happy to provide event logs if needed.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments