Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?

Anonymous
2018-01-31T22:27:25+00:00

I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T12:15:30+00:00

    Hi Mysteryyy,

    Thank you for your suggestions.  

    I have tried the usual holding down volume and power button, which didn't work. 

    But I don't know how to detach my monitor from the keyboard without it being able to turn on. 

    I saw the paperclip thing online but it seems more applicable to book 1 and might be a bit risky to try..

    Thanks again. 

    i can detach when my SB2 is turned off by pressing the button

    yes, i'd explore the paper clip thing, not sure its applicable to SB2 but most of what the SB1 had is the same in the SB2...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T11:27:11+00:00

    Same here. Laptop just died and won't turn on again. Called customer support and says they will only replace the laptop, meaning all my work is gone. 

    Infuriating and feel like at this price point and for that well established a corporation, Microsoft can take a page from its competitors in customer service. 

    Microsoft Customer support is a complete joke

    What have you tried yourself?

    A different charger to make sure fully charged?

    Detaching screen from base and trying to power on?

    Etc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T23:24:01+00:00

    I think the physical button is fine on mine, when the computer is only recently put to sleep touching the power button wakes it up right away. Also the problem appeared for me after a firmware update, disappeared after another firmware update, and has now reappeared on the current firmware.

    It's incredibly aggravating dealing with this every morning. Will my computer boot after 5 minutes of pressing the button or will it take half an hour?

    Otherwise the device is great, but I tell anyone who asks me about it to stay away because of this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T05:44:50+00:00

    Update: I made an appointment at my local Microsoft store. The tech took it to the back for a bit, and said she couldn't fix it and gave me a new one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T03:32:24+00:00

    i followed the thread on what to do, confirmed latest firmware, reset and everything has been working perfectly since.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments