Anyone having issues powering on their Surface Book 2?

Anonymous
2018-01-31T22:27:25+00:00

I am having issues the past couple weeks powering on my Surface Book 2 via the power button. It does not respond unless I eject the tablet half from the base and then press the power button. No setting or software changes except the Surface firmware update for Meltdown/Spectre a couple weeks ago. I'd say 1 out of every 5 attempts of me powering on results in a hard reboot and losing everything I had open. This is extremely frustrating! PS. I typically hibernate my PC. Would be great to hear from others that have applied the latest firmware and hibernate, if possible.

Surface | Surface Book | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-20T02:36:55+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. It takes me 30mins to start up my machine. It's a joke. I thought Microsoft lifted their game. 

    I should've bought a Mac book pro

    That maybe a different issue, the startup issue we're experiencing doesn't appear to delay the startup process itself. Plus one of the latest firmware updates corrected the issue.

    Maybe go through some of the common diagnostic processes to see what is causing your issue, IE disable the non system related startup processes etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-24T16:05:01+00:00

    I also have power button issues but I typically start my computer up from shut down. I notice that I usually push the button once and then after about 10-20 seconds I realize nothing happened so I push it again. Usually by the second time it starts up but it's still annoying that I have to push it more than once. Every once in a while this process is repeated several times before it seems like the computer registered that I even pushed it. The computer's fan is so quiet too that it's sometimes hard to tell if it's booting up or not. If after the first time it doesn't work I usually press and hold the power button for a second or two to make sure that I'm depressing the button all the way to rule out any user error. Not sure if this can be solved. I'm also starting up from a docking station and waiting to begin interfacing with the computer via two external monitors (the lid on the Surface Book 2 is therefore closed). Not sure if this makes a difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-29T14:30:50+00:00

    The major October patch addressed the issue, which fixed my powering on troubles. I now have no issues with it thankfully.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-26T16:48:54+00:00

    I had the very same problem with my Surface Book (1) and even on a replacement model, and 2 years in, there are still power and screen problems (charging issues and ghost clicks and blue screens). Now its just a brick and I’ll not be buying any Microsoft laptops in the future, unless performance reliability and reviews improves significantly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-12-08T12:40:05+00:00

    Commenting to be notified... I do the volume up/down trick to get it working, I hadn't tried the detach screen, good to know another work around. I'm following a few threads now, zero practical responses or support from Microsoft to such big issues with the SB2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments