Interesting.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3396221/intel-ice-lake-cpu-10nm-10th-gen-core.html
has some background on this.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Brand new Spro7, Firmware up-to-date.
I noticed drastic CPU throttling when battery charge level reaches 35%: CPU tops at about 0.5 GHz and setting the power slide to "Best Performance" doesn't change that.
I found no setting that would allow to change this excessively conservative threshold to something more reasonable like 12 or 15% (my Battery Saver level is set at 15%, but it has obviously no impact on this).
Is this hard-coded in the firmware ?
Any ideas ?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Interesting.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3396221/intel-ice-lake-cpu-10nm-10th-gen-core.html
has some background on this.
Brand new Spro7, Firmware up-to-date.
I noticed drastic CPU throttling when battery charge level reaches 35%: CPU tops at about 0.5 GHz and setting the power slide to "Best Performance" doesn't change that.
I found no setting that would allow to change this excessively conservative threshold to something more reasonable like 12 or 15% (my Battery Saver level is set at 15%, but it has obviously no impact on this).
Is this hard-coded in the firmware ?
Any ideas ?
I had the same problem on my SP7 i5 8gb and i solved this issue yesterday by disabling Intel Dynamic Tuning Service in msconfig > services.
The problem is gone now but i am not sure if this can cause issues.
So far so good, but i keep monitoring cpu and gpu temperatures just to be sure.
Just try and see if works for you.
Hello Bard,
I have reported on the Feedback Hub though originally I thought it occurred at 30% battery, link below.
Regards,
Muck
I don't see that anyone has reported this using the Feedback Hub App. You might want to file a problem report and see if others upvote.
Hello,
I am too having the same problem. When the charge of my Surface Pro 7 (details below) reaches 35% the CPU and GPU throttle, CPU below 1GHz, and GPU is stuck at 300Mhz. I have Surface keyboard and pen.
Restarting or changing user account will fix the CPU throttle but the GPU stays stuck at 300Mhz.
This only started happening after the firmware updates in December.
Charging the Surface Pro 7 above 35% fixes the issues, along with plugging into the charger.
I have run the Surface diagnostic, and reset the power plan. Neither has helped.
Regards,
Muck