When on battery, severe CPU throttling kicks in at 35% charge: how to change ?

Anonymous
2019-12-19T16:39:57+00:00

Brand new Spro7, Firmware up-to-date.

I noticed drastic CPU throttling when battery charge level reaches 35%: CPU tops at about 0.5 GHz and setting the power slide to "Best Performance" doesn't change that.

I found no setting that would allow to change this excessively conservative threshold to something more reasonable like 12 or 15% (my Battery Saver level is set at 15%, but it has obviously no impact on this).

Is this hard-coded in the firmware ?

Any ideas ?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-11T11:32:33+00:00

    You previously said "I would need to test with just the keyboard connected " -

    what was the result of this test?

    If you still have this issue, in all honesty, the other option is to reimage

    your Surface and see if you have issues before you install all of your own

    software.

    I don't see this as a trending issue here. And if it is drivers/firmware, it

    takes Microsoft quite a while to issue fixes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-10T17:42:12+00:00

    It takes me about 2 labour days to configure this thing as a usable production tool tailored to my needs - my installation journal has about 50 lines, this includes paid software with complex licensing requiring careful deinstallation, reinstallation etc.

    So exchanging the hardware "just in case" to rule out hardware is a very expensive proposition.

    I'd really appreciate if other people can repro this, beside Adibouba higher in this thread.

    To me this sounds like a BIOS, Firmware or driver thing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-10T17:07:38+00:00

    If it were me, to rule out hardware, I'd return it for full refund and

    repurchase since you seem to be within the 30 day return window. Don't exchange

    with Microsoft as you will get a refurb.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-10T16:23:21+00:00

    It's a pretty basic 4-port USB 3 hub:

    Sitecom CN-083

    I would need to test with just the keyboard connected, but I see someone else is experiencing the same symptom without any hub attached...

    Also, it should be fairly simple to repro, unless this is a hardware issue affecting a limited production batch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-01-03T11:41:17+00:00

    >external keyboard & Ethernet are connected using a powered 4-port USB 3.0 SS hub

    >

    what brand and model USB hub?

    while I realize you'd not have a wired Ethernet connection, I'd be curious as to

    whether you still have this issue without this USB Hub and just have the

    keyboard plugged into the USB-A port directly on your SP7?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments