Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-08T03:37:49+00:00

    hello cfollnsb and all SP4 users,

    the same thing happened to me flickering/ghost/double vision happened to me. i bought this SP4 just like mr.cfollnsb using the professional school loan which i just found out ended last feb 2018. but the Microsoft support told me that since i bought it using the commercial term for education, i still can exchange the SP4 for a refurbished 1 to 1 basis FREE OF CHARGE. should i exchange it even though there are other SP users still got the same issue on the refurbished SP4 and luckily for mr.cfollnsb  got his refurbished surface without the flickering issue.

    and mr.cfollnsb, can you tell me ur refurbished SP4 condition. any wear and tear, dents. any review about the condition. tq. would appreciate if i can get any feedback ASAP as i need to reply to the Microsoft support asap to make the replacement.

    tq all

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-07T07:35:40+00:00

    Update one month later:

    As furious as I was to go without a laptop, I decided to send it off to Microsoft through Best Buy on 2/26/18 because I couldn't risk the flickering getting worse while I'm in school. I ended up borrowing a friend's iPad Pro to use OneNote for taking notes in class, but since OneNote doesn't have the best functionality with Apple products, I ended up buying a $230 POS laptop from Best Buy to hold me over until my SP4 came back (they have a 15 day no questions asked return policy, so I kind of rented it). I was VERY hesitant to spend money on a laptop because I shouldn't have to dish out money for Microsoft's problems, but using the iPad was so inconvenient that I really had no choice.

    Today, 3/6/18, Best Buy notified me that my SP4 was back from Microsoft, and this is what was noted online as I tracked my repair:

    I called Best Buy asking for more specific details because I knew Microsoft didn't replace any parts "inside my device." The Geek Squad technician said they completely replaced it with a refurbished device, which is what I expected. So far, so good..no flickering after 6 hours of using it, so we'll see how this goes. I have read that people have had the same flickering issue on refurbished devices, so if that happens I will probably move up the chain of command until I find someone who will fix things fast because I bought this SP4 on loans for professional school, and I can't afford to buy another one. I will update again if I have any problems. 

    If you are still within your 1-year warranty w Microsoft or an extended warranty, I HIGHLY recommend sending it off and getting things done sooner than later. There are many people who have had these flickering problems just after their 1-year manufacturer's warranty has ended and it's about $500 to replace the screen, and that's absolutely ridiculous.

    Good luck to you all!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-07T06:51:49+00:00

    I guess MS will not response to our problem. I have warned all my friends and associates via social media network to think twice buying Surface at this moment. I don't wish to have another poor soul that spend few thousand dollar fall into this problem like all of us.

    To help others avoid this issue I post the flickergate.com URL on MS advertising posts and posts commenting on Surface products as a warning as often as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-07T02:16:41+00:00

    I guess MS will not response to our problem. I have warned all my friends and associates via social media network to think twice buying Surface at this moment. I don't wish to have another poor soul that spend few thousand dollar fall into this problem like all of us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments