Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-07T01:49:44+00:00

    I have the exact same problem.

    When the flickering starts, it usually goes away when I touch the screen, move the mouse, or in general update the screen (playing a video, animation etc.)

    After some time, touching and moving the mouse stops working.

    Playing a video on full screen (like with the Netflix app), however, without any of the UI elements such as the play bar and back button showing causes the flickering to stop temporarily.

    Moving the mouse or causing any text, UI element to show again will bring the flicker back.

    It's so strange but this issue is keeping me from using my Surface productively especially since I live in a warmer country.

    It's really keeping me from recommending the Surface to anyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-06T16:42:59+00:00

    Does the class action apply to only those that live in the US? I bought my defective Surface Pro 4 in the US but I live outside the US.

    I doubt that living outside the US will be a problem, particularly if you purchased in USA.

    However, just to be clear, I don't believe there is yet an active class-action lawsuit.  The firm Migliaccio & Rathod LLP is investigating the possibility of legal action, and collecting names and stories.  I spoke to them about three weeks ago.  One substantial problem is that in the Terms & Conditions we all accepted when purchasing the Surface, there is standard language that specifies individual arbitration, which makes creating a class-action lawsuit more difficult -- maybe not impossible.  But the feeling I got from the paralegal I spoke to is that just having a legal firm approach Microsoft with a bunch of names might be enough to get them to do something... maybe just a credit or something like that.

    So, it is probably worthwhile to contact those guys at Migliaccio & Rathod LLP .

    I was specifically told as long as you purchased in the US, they would be interested in my story.

    It does bear saying, that considering the issues with the Federal Arbitration Act and that lovely little Class Action Waiver we all unknowingly signed/agreed to, that it would also be a good idea to start a class action outside of the US, maybe in a country with better consumer protection laws.

    That said the law and the response of  various states to class action waivers, I've been told, isn't set in stone, and some states are more inclined to fight it than others. So the more of us that actually contribute to the investigation, the better chances of finding someone who is in an amenable state that can be used as a class representative.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-06T15:11:30+00:00

    have same issue and completed the form on classlawdc web page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-06T14:48:21+00:00

    Does the class action apply to only those that live in the US? I bought my defective Surface Pro 4 in the US but I live outside the US.

    I doubt that living outside the US will be a problem, particularly if you purchased in USA.

    However, just to be clear, I don't believe there is yet an active class-action lawsuit.  The firm Migliaccio & Rathod LLP is investigating the possibility of legal action, and collecting names and stories.  I spoke to them about three weeks ago.  One substantial problem is that in the Terms & Conditions we all accepted when purchasing the Surface, there is standard language that specifies individual arbitration, which makes creating a class-action lawsuit more difficult -- maybe not impossible.  But the feeling I got from the paralegal I spoke to is that just having a legal firm approach Microsoft with a bunch of names might be enough to get them to do something... maybe just a credit or something like that.

    So, it is probably worthwhile to contact those guys at Migliaccio & Rathod LLP .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments