Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-10T06:31:12+00:00

    I called support today because of the screen flickering in my Surface 4. I'm out of warranty, so I was asked to  send mine back to get a replacement. The price: up to $600 dollars. Really?

    I have two Toshiba laptops still in my possession that have been working for 14 and 8 years respectively. A $1500 dollar PC from Microsoft is going to break after less than 2 years? And I have to pay up to half the price of a new one to get it fix it?

    It goes without saying that I don't plan to replace it. One of these days I'll buy another laptop. This Surface is probably the last Microsoft hardware that I'll use.

    I'm in exactly the same position even if Microsoft offer to replace my SP4. Just waiting for Lenovo X1 Tablet (2G) or latest HP ZBook X2 in Australia. MS never again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-10T02:11:13+00:00

    I called support today because of the screen flickering in my Surface 4. I'm out of warranty, so I was asked to  send mine back to get a replacement. The price: up to $600 dollars. Really?

    I have two Toshiba laptops still in my possession that have been working for 14 and 8 years respectively. A $1500 dollar PC from Microsoft is going to break after less than 2 years? And I have to pay up to half the price of a new one to get it fix it?

    It goes without saying that I don't plan to replace it. One of these days I'll buy another laptop. This Surface is probably the last Microsoft hardware that I'll use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-09T23:52:05+00:00

    being offered a new device is entirely at Microsoft's discretion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-09T14:32:00+00:00

    hello cfollnsb and all SP4 users,

    the same thing happened to me flickering/ghost/double vision happened to me. i bought this SP4 just like mr.cfollnsb using the professional school loan which i just found out ended last feb 2018. but the Microsoft support told me that since i bought it using the commercial term for education, i still can exchange the SP4 for a refurbished 1 to 1 basis FREE OF CHARGE. should i exchange it even though there are other SP users still got the same issue on the refurbished SP4 and luckily for mr.cfollnsb  got his refurbished surface without the flickering issue.

    and mr.cfollnsb, can you tell me ur refurbished SP4 condition. any wear and tear, dents. any review about the condition. tq. would appreciate if i can get any feedback ASAP as i need to reply to the Microsoft support asap to make the replacement.

    tq all

    Hi, Mohd FaizalMohd Noor,

    I have been following this thread or so long, and still seeing those user having the same flickering problem even getting a refurbish one. My conspiracy theory, those user with the flickering problem did hand over their unit back to microsoft, and those flickering unit now is 'refurbish' and hand down to new user that willing to fork out their money to buy a refurbish one, and the cycle continues.

    Would you be possible to ask for a new one instead? Just my thought.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments