Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T06:20:24+00:00

    This is my first device of the surface line. My warranty just ended a week ago and I'm in a tough spot right now and cant get it fixed right away. That' why I need some other solutions to see what others have tried. My surface pro 4 is a year old with no physical damage on the device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T06:17:34+00:00

    I got my Surface replaced just a bit before the warranty expired, and i thought that would be the end of it, singe it's only affecting 1% of devices, right? Wrong. My replacement unit is also suffering from the same flickering issue i had with the first one. I am using this device as my work machine, and now I'm just out of luck. Please make this right Microsoft. Please. 

    I would be inclined to try returning to Microsoft if you can document that it happened in your previous device. 

    Also remember your replacement has a 90 day warranty. How long ago was the first device replaced, you did not specify.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T06:16:35+00:00

    Looks like I've got screen flickering on my Surface Pro 4 after installing KB4074588 on Windows 10 1709 (FCU).

    I have external monitors - they are not affected. Interestingly, while hovering mouse over Surface screen flickering stops.

    Update KB4074588 cannot be uninstalled, so I'm kind of stuck.

    it's not related to the update, the update just likely pushed it over, by making the device work hard. If you're still under warranty have the device troubleshooted & replaced ASAP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T06:13:00+00:00

    Add me to the list of thousands with this problem. I purchased my Surface Pro 4 from Best Buy with their extended 2 year warranty in April 2017. Two weeks ago a line of pixels across the bottom of the screen started flickering randomly, which led me to start doing some research about the problem. One week later, it progressed to a full inch along the bottom started shaking/flickering. I have tried every suggestion offered by Microsoft and none of them have resolved the issue.

    After using the Fresh Start option in Windows 10, restoring and keeping my files, restoring and deleting all my files, and reinstalling Windows 10 via the cloud (yes, I reset my PC at least 4 times in a week), I absolutely guaranteed that there were no software or driver problems. I took it to Best Buy, and they told me they're required to send it off to Microsoft for assessment and "repair," which will take TWO WEEKS. I am in a doctoral program, and I sold my 1 year old Macbook Pro to purchase this Surface tablet, and I expected it to be reliable. I take every quiz, exam, and all of my notes on it. I can't go without my computer for two weeks because the program I'm in is year-round, and I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced because of Microsoft's problems.

    I wish I had done more research before I bought it because I wouldn't recommend a Surface tablet to anyone. I have already shared this information with my school's IT department, as well as my entire class.

    Go to a nearby Microsoft store, you're still within the one year of manufacturer warranty. Hopefully they can do the exchange in store. Don't let the 1st year run out, please do it ASAP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments