Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T06:11:51+00:00

    Is there any way to report this issue to Microsoft. I called the technical support line and I was told that this was a software issue but the flickering keeps getting worse each time. I recently tried to call Microsoft again but I only received Microsoft's voice directory and received no real help. I am a college student and this was a hefty investment and I am very disappointed that after a year of use ( no scratches, dents, or even a cracked screen ) that this computer has gone to complete crap. 

    They are not unaware of the problem, they just are not taking responsibility for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T01:17:31+00:00

    Is there any way to report this issue to Microsoft. I called the technical support line and I was told that this was a software issue but the flickering keeps getting worse each time. I recently tried to call Microsoft again but I only received Microsoft's voice directory and received no real help. I am a college student and this was a hefty investment and I am very disappointed that after a year of use ( no scratches, dents, or even a cracked screen ) that this computer has gone to complete crap.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T00:06:26+00:00

    Add me to the list of thousands with this problem. I purchased my Surface Pro 4 from Best Buy with their extended 2 year warranty in April 2017. Two weeks ago a line of pixels across the bottom of the screen started flickering randomly, which led me to start doing some research about the problem. One week later, it progressed to a full inch along the bottom started shaking/flickering. I have tried every suggestion offered by Microsoft and none of them have resolved the issue.

    After using the Fresh Start option in Windows 10, restoring and keeping my files, restoring and deleting all my files, and reinstalling Windows 10 via the cloud (yes, I reset my PC at least 4 times in a week), I absolutely guaranteed that there were no software or driver problems. I took it to Best Buy, and they told me they're required to send it off to Microsoft for assessment and "repair," which will take TWO WEEKS. I am in a doctoral program, and I sold my 1 year old Macbook Pro to purchase this Surface tablet, and I expected it to be reliable. I take every quiz, exam, and all of my notes on it. I can't go without my computer for two weeks because the program I'm in is year-round, and I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced because of Microsoft's problems.

    I wish I had done more research before I bought it because I wouldn't recommend a Surface tablet to anyone. I have already shared this information with my school's IT department, as well as my entire class.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-16T17:08:10+00:00

    Probably not the solution you'd like but an option is to install an animated cursor like this one: https://exsess.deviantart.com/art/Zune-d-Animated-Cursors-Set-264087386

    Since cursor is animated, a few pixels are always changing and the flickering no longer happens. Worked for me and accepted. Plus, I like the red triangular cursor as it helps to spot rapidly where mouse is.

    You will likely find that this trick only works for a limited time. For me it would for about one month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments