Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-16T16:52:27+00:00

    Probably not the solution you'd like but an option is to install an animated cursor like this one: https://exsess.deviantart.com/art/Zune-d-Animated-Cursors-Set-264087386

    Since cursor is animated, a few pixels are always changing and the flickering no longer happens. Worked for me and accepted. Plus, I like the red triangular cursor as it helps to spot rapidly where mouse is.

    As requested, these are the steps to install animated cursor

    > Download and unzip

    > Right-click install.inf file, click "Install"

    > Accept UAC screens

    > Once the above is done, click Windows Start button and go to "Settings"

    > Look for "Mouse Settings" in search box

    > Select blue link "Additional mouse options"

    > Now go to second tab "Pointers"

    > Click drop down list and select "Zune'd"

    > Apply, OK

    Now your cursor should be red and animated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-16T07:05:12+00:00

    I think I can help your problem - this is a heating issue. I tried every possible software solution under the sun after dozens of hours of Googling and made no progress.

    Then I tried a cool & moist blanket on the back of my MS Surface Pro and the screen blurring/flickering/freezing-and-overlaying-images-on-one-another immediately stopped.

    Hopefully you have as much success as I have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-16T04:35:33+00:00

    Looks like I've got screen flickering on my Surface Pro 4 after installing KB4074588 on Windows 10 1709 (FCU).

    I have external monitors - they are not affected. Interestingly, while hovering mouse over Surface screen flickering stops.

    Update KB4074588 cannot be uninstalled, so I'm kind of stuck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-15T17:50:44+00:00

    Unfortunately this is a temporary "fix". It worked for me for about a month or so. At the moment it's unusable. I can cool it down bit by opening my window and it does help a bit, but it's damn cold outside. I've even put a cooler on the back of it just to keep it... well, cooler. I feel so stupid sometimes trying to help this tablet not to get an epileptic seizure screen lol. Did i mention that i'm never buying Microsoft hardware again? Only becose they choose to ignore this peoblem. We all make mistakes. Ask my mom. But we need to deal with them and not hide it under the rug like i did with the accidental fartpoop. Got to clean your **** up Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments