Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-15T15:11:46+00:00

    I got my Surface replaced just a bit before the warranty expired, and i thought that would be the end of it, singe it's only affecting 1% of devices, right? Wrong. My replacement unit is also suffering from the same flickering issue i had with the first one. I am using this device as my work machine, and now I'm just out of luck. Please make this right Microsoft. Please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-15T05:55:09+00:00

    Oh... the old fashioned way. Thanks.  I wondered about that but had no time.  I will try it

    In the meantime I am successfully using the cosmetic solution proposed in a February 2017 post of having the taskbar clock display seconds. I get  slight hiccup every now and again but nothing at all like the oft persistent flicker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-13T21:48:15+00:00

    I updated my driver yesterday after reading the last few comments..

    Screen still flickers. No change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-13T16:28:53+00:00

    I tried to install it but it reported that the driver is not "validated" for the computer and routed me to the Intel site. I did not pursue it any further. 

    Actually you can install the driver, u just need to know how:

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments