Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-09T18:28:25+00:00

    Microsoft is using the #MySurface hashtag today to celebrate 5 years of Surface Products, I think we should use the opportunity to highlight the issue with the Surface Pro 4 devices. Add #MySurface to the #Flickergate hashtag. when tweeting.

    Good call!

    1. Sign our petition https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-microsoft-surface-pro-4-screen-flickering-or-blurry?recruiter=845560982&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

    520 followers

    1. The class action was filed early this week, sign up. https://www.consumerclassactionlawyers.com/microsoft-surface-pro-4-flickering-screen-class-action-lawsuit-investigation.html?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email&iid=796f05f2076843059645d6e99399ea98&uid=734867867334791168&nid=244+281088008
    2.  Copy this message and post it everywhere you can

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-09T18:15:59+00:00

    Even I am facing the same problem and day by day it is getting worse. I would have bought 3 better laptops in the same price or one iPhone, one iPad pro and one Mac book pro.

    I just want my money back. I know this is not going to happen. God know when MS will come up with solutions for this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-09T15:45:13+00:00

    Just spent an hour on the phone with MS technical support with this issue...offered the option to pay for a replacement. I would have to send mine in, then wait for them to send a new one back. I'm highly dependent on this machine, and this would cost me ~2 weeks of lost productivity (in addition to what has already occurred). 

    These are such expensive machines, marketed as high-end. To have them predictably fail for thousands of users and then be offered the privilege of paying for a replacement is an insult. I have already contacted multiple class-action lawyers to encourage them to take action, and I recommend all other affected users do the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-09T08:52:06+00:00

    I have the same problems with my surface Pro4

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments