Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-08T22:20:14+00:00

    Task manager seemed to work at first for me. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-08T13:54:27+00:00

    So your device was still under warranty? 

    Yes, I had 2 months left on my 1-year warranty when I brought it back to the Microsoft store.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-08T13:32:02+00:00

    So your device was still under warranty?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-08T05:14:17+00:00

    We left my i5 256gb unit the other day at a Microsoft store as my screen started to flicker within less than a year of using the device.

    They just got back to us earlier today saying that this was a hardware problem and the unit must be replaced. But they also went on saying that my model has been discontinued, so they cannot offer a replacement as of now.

    Not sure how to go on about this. I'm not sure I even want the new Surface Pro as a replacement. Extremely disappointed at Microsoft!

    Just a quick update on my case:

    As they were unable to find a replacement device for me, they offered to upgrade and give me the new Surface Pro with the same specs.

    I took the offer and now have the new model. I love the form factor and this really is the perfect device for me if only they could solve this screen issue. Hoping that the new device wont run into the same problem after a few months of use.

    Hope this helps to others that may also want a replacement.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments