Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T09:11:30+00:00

    I'm Chris, I'm from Poland and I have also bought my Surface Pro 4 two years ago and I also have the problem. It has started about a year ago, so after a year of purchase. I sent my Surface to Bydgoszcz,Poland to Microsh*t service center and I surprisingly recieved it back after few days without any help, only with a sheet of paper in different languages, that they won't repair my Surface because of little breakage of the screen (made after a week of purchase despite wearing Surface Type Cover) which doesn't cause any problems. Microsh*t just proposed me to replace my Surface to new for about 500€. Shame on you Microsh*t

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T21:45:36+00:00

    I'm from Singapore, bought the Surface Pro 4 - 128GB M 4GB 2 years back. Used it frequently but only for work related documents/drawings. No issued faced until i decided to download some low end games (maplestory, minecraft - without mods). 

    Both games meet the recommended specs for my surface pro. Runs very smoothly for the first 30 mins but the flickering starts after that. 

    Tried contacting support but to even get a real person speaking to you was tedious. Looking at the replies from this thread, support would probably ask me to pay for a replacement.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T19:02:08+00:00

    Yes I agree. They need to be held responsible and they need to make this right. And extending the warranty or making me send mine in for repair or giving me a refurbished 1 doesn't make it right. It's another faulty product, replace it with the new model that isn't. 

    I have given this company tens of thousands of dollars over the years and they don't give a damn about people like us. We need a class action and then a mass Exodus to Apple or Google. (I can't describe how much I despise both if them). But that's what it's come to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T19:01:56+00:00

    Yep had the same thing here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments