Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T07:30:03+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 4 that I bought in January 2016, and my screen started to flicker/shake about three days ago.

    I have the exact same issue (literally, word for word) with the OP. It only doesn't flicker with the following:

    "1. A video being played in browser 

    1. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
    2. If I use the touchpad
    3. If keyboard is used for typing"

    I'm a student in the middle of studying for exams, and it's making my life miserable.

    How has there been no resolution if this problem has been ongoing for the past couple of years?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T17:08:14+00:00

    I have this issue too (Surface Pro 4 with Core m3). It started after 2 years of normal use. And I didn't play games or do anything heavy on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T15:23:03+00:00

    Hello Urs,

    You may reach out to our Support team in Singapore by calling 800 101 3659.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T09:11:55+00:00

    Just got my 2nd replacement device last month. And noticed flicker again only 1 month after I got the new one. This time there is no idle flicker.... for now at least. And it only flickers when the device get hot. When gaming or doing some other heavy task. 

    My first one (my original purchase) got flickering after about a year. Idle flicker when nothing was moving.

    My second (replacement device) got flickering about 8 months after I got it. Idle flicker and constant flicker under heavy load.

    My third (the latest one) got flickering while gaming after just 1 month. So far only under heavy load.

    I'm starting to think that ALL Surface devices are defective. Some people just don't get the problem because their device never really get hot enough to cause any damage.

    It seems that Surface Pro's can't handle heat very well at all, and is not suitable for any heavy tasks, gaming, or anything else that might cause it to get hot. 

    Since some people are reporting it even on new models like Surface Pro 2017 it seems they have not fixed the issue. And probably won't be fixed any time soon, as this is probably an engineering or design flaw, that causes some chip to be unstable and damaged due to heat.

    It seems the only fix is to downclock your surface device to keep it from not getting hot enough to cause the damage in the first place, and don't use it for any heavy tasks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments