Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T18:44:22+00:00

    Absolute **** of a support / warranty on these paperweights ! then asked for fork out 333 GBP for a problem that should be covered under warranty.

    Pathetic

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T12:49:59+00:00

    I think all of us suffering on here should band together an take out a class action law suit against MS directly. Thoughts anyone????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T12:35:42+00:00

    How long is Microsoft going to ignore the issue?

    They should treat this the same way as RROD and extend all our warranties to 3years

    They should also put in some better quality control to make sure replacements don't have the same issue, or just replace our SP4s with the 2017 model

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-04T01:10:58+00:00

    Mine is exactly like yours, it covers the bottom inch or so of my screen. It just started doing this and so far has done it 3 times in the last week or so. I bought it January 20th 2017, it started flickering January 25th 2018. 5 freaking days after the warranty expired. How convenient. I have purchased 4 Surface devices so far, I currently own 11 Windows devices and I mean absolutely nothing to this company. They either need to step up like they did with the Xbox 360 and replace all of our units with a new Surface Pro or it's time for a class action against them. It's that simple.

    At some point, these company's need to take care of their loyal customers or they need to have their feet held to the fire by those same customers. You screwed up Microsoft. Period. And now, as seems to be the case more and more over the last few years, your most loyal customers are the ones who are being punished for it. It's time for this to end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments