Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T07:13:05+00:00

    Recently I have talked with malaysia support team, they are willing to help and promise to offer me new options beside pay extra fee for out of warranty replacement (they still reviewing my case).  

    if you want to try, here the link

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/contactus/

    Do let us know what is the new options they are willing to offer? Thanks alot in advance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T06:52:57+00:00

    Recently I have talked with malaysia support team, they are willing to help and promise to offer me new options beside pay extra fee for out of warranty replacement (they still reviewing my case).  

    if you want to try, here the link

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/contactus/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-07T10:10:45+00:00

    Hi All,

    I tried many ways on this forum but did not solve the problem. Finally, I decided to order a new lcd replacement for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 from https://www.aliexpress.com and replaced the flickering one in my surface pro 4. I've been using it for more than 3 months and the screen is no longer flickering. It costs me total of $120 including replacement cost. Hope to give you a cheaper solution than send it out for warranty from Microsoft. 

    Kind Regards,

    Minh Hoang

    Nice man, can you answer these two questions ? I'm interested in buying one,

    • how easy is it to replace (did you do it yourself?)
    • is the resolution the same? is it as good ?

    Thank you very much, I'd like it if you posted the link to the exact seller you bought from 

    Hi MounirToumi,

    Previously, I thought that because of overheating or graphics card. I replaced CPU & GPU thermal compound and assembly external fan but could not solve the problem. Microsoft has no warranty station in Vietnam and the cost for sending to USA is very high. I decided to replace the LCD screen rather than throwing it away.

    It is quite difficult to replace the LCD screen by yourself because it is glued to the frame. You can replace it by yourself if you have the skills and use a heater (Youtube has many videos for same purpose) but it is easy to break the screen's edge because it is very thin . The LCD replacement gets same resolution as the original screen, good display quality in the price range. You can refer to the link below to purchase it because the person I bought now he do not sell anymore.

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-LCD-Assembly-For-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-1724-LTN123YL01-001-LCD-Screen-with-touch/32821325696.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.10.IkAHNY&ws\_ab\_test=searchweb0\_0,searchweb201602\_1\_5130011\_10152\_10065\_10151\_10344\_10068\_10345\_10342\_10547\_10343\_10340\_10341\_10548\_5000011\_10541\_10084\_10083\_10307\_5080011\_10539\_10312\_10059\_10313\_10314\_10534\_100031\_10604\_10603\_10103\_10605\_10594\_10596\_5060011\_10142\_10107,searchweb201603\_31,ppcSwitch\_5&algo\_expid=ad552470-4fbe-406d-8026-10558f1831ee-1&algo\_pvid=ad552470-4fbe-406d-8026-10558f1831ee&rmStoreLevelAB=2

    Kind Regards,

    Minh Hoang

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-07T00:39:12+00:00

    The problem does not happen with external monitor or with screen sharing.  Turning the device off for awhile helps.  Changing screen resolution does not help.  Restarting does not help.  This points to a major design flaw with the built in monitor!  Need a better response than this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments