Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T03:54:48+00:00

    My screen flicker had progressed so bad that my screen would just be going crazy regardless of being idle or in use, if more than 5 tabs were open and especially if a video has been playing for about 20 minutes.

    The only fix was to turn it off and let it cool down for a while.

    Since the updates I've had dozens of tabs open, videos playing, I'm letting it heat up and it's performing great. Hoping some other users can corroborate this

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T03:50:39+00:00

    I am going to check,but its worth  noting that screen flicker happens when the screen is idle, it never flickered for me when i move my mouse or watched videos

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-09T03:43:05+00:00

    I've had this problem since October, just a few months outside of warranty.

    I was dealing with it by having a USB fan pointed at the vents. It would at least delay the onset of the screen jitter.

    However, there were some new updates that came in yesterday and... I don't want to speak to soon or celebrate too much... but I was then able to use my Surface Pro 4 on battery from a full charge down to nothing, watching videos the whole time, and there wasn't one screen distortion!

    Has anyone else installed the new Surface drivers and found that their screen issues are solved?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T07:59:26+00:00

    Sure, I will update here soon after they done reviewing my case and come out with new offer (2-3 working days)

    UPDATE: At first there is a person from malaysia support team promise to raise my issue and help me get free replacement, she asked me to wait for few days as the escalation team still reviewing my case. Today I received reply from escalation team:

    QUOTE

     I am emailing you in regard your Surface device. We have heard that you were requesting for a free replacement device due to a hardware fault on your Surface. 

    Since then, we have been checking and raising ticket about your request. Every one that we have consulted provided us the same answer - we can only assist you with paid replacement. I am sorry to be the bearer of the news.

    UNQUOTE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments