Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T01:55:40+00:00

    warranty is expired sir 

    You must be really lucky. I had contacted Microsoft too and even had their agent remotely connected to my SP4 to solve the problem. Lastly the offered me an out of warranty replacement which would cost me USD500. Can you kindly walk me through the process in how you get the replacement for free? Thanking you in advance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T01:51:42+00:00

    warranty is expired sir

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T01:45:03+00:00

    Hello Everyone facing screen shaking,

    My big bro purchased Surface Pro 4 i7 512 GB 16gb ram since it came out last 2 years.

    1st, it faced battery draining problem during gaming but it resolved with windows update.

    Last 2 months, Screen started to shake vertically especially playing games, even with video or browsing.

    It also happens in UEFI Surface Logo screen. I tried a lot of solutions from community but nothing treat this problem properly.

    I contacted Microsoft Online Service but they recommended me to send it back to their store which is far away from my country, Myanmar.

    Finally, i sent it back to my bro in US who can make appointment with MS store.

    My bro went to MS store and showed screen shaking video that i took.

    Although it is out of warranty, they replaced with new one without demanding any cost (some says 450 - 500 $ for refurbished item or new one)

    They said it becomes common later. They don't have surface with same specs so they will send it back with mail to my bro.

    My bro thinks company policies change because it become more common than before.

    I can't believe it is so easy for my bro. 1st make appointment. then showed the video of screen shaking. then they will give the replacement with new via postal service.

    not only surface pro 4, also its dock (out of warranty) has a problem which can't produce sound when connected with mini display port. For that, they replaced new one too. So, I am very satisfied with their customer service.

    I wish new coming surface pro 4 is good and not screen shaking again like old one.

    I fail to see how replacing a model with issues, with the same model, is a solution.  I sincerely hope the problem does not re-occur.

    A Malaysian user here where Microsoft Store is no way can be found nearby in my place, my SP4 i5/8gb/256gb was bought back in December 2015 and having screen shaking/jumping after first quarter of 2017 (after the AU i guess and warranty is expired), waited for future update to fix that, however, it was getting worse and no update is helping.

    Long story short, i emailed to Microsoft back in May 2017, and they wanted me to do some troubleshooting, till reset/restore/clean install the windows 10, took me nearly a month of the whole troubleshooting (of course the period could be shorter if i have free time)

    At last, they asked me to send in my unit and they will replacing with a replacement unit. I refused because i have only 1 device to use for daily work, and they offered me 'advanced exchange programme', that they send me a replacement unit to me at first, requesting me to test first, if the replacement unit is okay and satisfying, or not, I must send back either 1 unit back within 21 days. Totally free of charge as I did not pay a single cents, the postage fee was free as well by Microsoft.

    I took the replacement unit and using it till today, so far no issue. Honestly, i wish that i can sell the current unit and get another brand because i do really worrying this issue will be coming back again in future (touchwood) 

    Lucky on me for the free exchange but, Microsoft do disappointing their consumers. The reason for replying this is, i do hope you guys could at least try to email to Microsoft and see what can be turned out to. Good luck. 

    May I know was your warranty still valid when it was replaced? I bought my device in Malaysia too. Contacted the shop and seek for a replacement but was offered an out of warranty replacement which would cost me RM2500+. Really absurd!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T01:41:00+00:00

    Hello Everyone facing screen shaking,

    My big bro purchased Surface Pro 4 i7 512 GB 16gb ram since it came out last 2 years.

    1st, it faced battery draining problem during gaming but it resolved with windows update.

    Last 2 months, Screen started to shake vertically especially playing games, even with video or browsing.

    It also happens in UEFI Surface Logo screen. I tried a lot of solutions from community but nothing treat this problem properly.

    I contacted Microsoft Online Service but they recommended me to send it back to their store which is far away from my country, Myanmar.

    Finally, i sent it back to my bro in US who can make appointment with MS store.

    My bro went to MS store and showed screen shaking video that i took.

    Although it is out of warranty, they replaced with new one without demanding any cost (some says 450 - 500 $ for refurbished item or new one)

    They said it becomes common later. They don't have surface with same specs so they will send it back with mail to my bro.

    My bro thinks company policies change because it become more common than before.

    I can't believe it is so easy for my bro. 1st make appointment. then showed the video of screen shaking. then they will give the replacement with new via postal service.

    not only surface pro 4, also its dock (out of warranty) has a problem which can't produce sound when connected with mini display port. For that, they replaced new one too. So, I am very satisfied with their customer service.

    I wish new coming surface pro 4 is good and not screen shaking again like old one.

    I fail to see how replacing a model with issues, with the same model, is a solution.  I sincerely hope the problem does not re-occur.

    A Malaysian user here where Microsoft Store is no way can be found nearby in my place, my SP4 i5/8gb/256gb was bought back in December 2015 and having screen shaking/jumping after first quarter of 2017 (after the AU i guess and warranty is expired), waited for future update to fix that, however, it was getting worse and no update is helping.

    Long story short, i emailed to Microsoft back in May 2017, and they wanted me to do some troubleshooting, till reset/restore/clean install the windows 10, took me nearly a month of the whole troubleshooting (of course the period could be shorter if i have free time)

    At last, they asked me to send in my unit and they will replacing with a replacement unit. I refused because i have only 1 device to use for daily work, and they offered me 'advanced exchange programme', that they send me a replacement unit to me at first, requesting me to test first, if the replacement unit is okay and satisfying, or not, I must send back either 1 unit back within 21 days. Totally free of charge as I did not pay a single cents, the postage fee was free as well by Microsoft.

    I took the replacement unit and using it till today, so far no issue. Honestly, i wish that i can sell the current unit and get another brand because i do really worrying this issue will be coming back again in future (touchwood) 

    Lucky on me for the free exchange but, Microsoft do disappointing their consumers. The reason for replying this is, i do hope you guys could at least try to email to Microsoft and see what can be turned out to. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments