Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-03T18:19:55+00:00

    Hello Everyone facing screen shaking,

    My big bro purchased Surface Pro 4 i7 512 GB 16gb ram since it came out last 2 years.

    1st, it faced battery draining problem during gaming but it resolved with windows update.

    Last 2 months, Screen started to shake vertically especially playing games, even with video or browsing.

    It also happens in UEFI Surface Logo screen. I tried a lot of solutions from community but nothing treat this problem properly.

    I contacted Microsoft Online Service but they recommended me to send it back to their store which is far away from my country, Myanmar.

    Finally, i sent it back to my bro in US who can make appointment with MS store.

    My bro went to MS store and showed screen shaking video that i took.

    Although it is out of warranty, they replaced with new one without demanding any cost (some says 450 - 500 $ for refurbished item or new one)

    They said it becomes common later. They don't have surface with same specs so they will send it back with mail to my bro.

    My bro thinks company policies change because it become more common than before.

    I can't believe it is so easy for my bro. 1st make appointment. then showed the video of screen shaking. then they will give the replacement with new via postal service.

    not only surface pro 4, also its dock (out of warranty) has a problem which can't produce sound when connected with mini display port. For that, they replaced new one too. So, I am very satisfied with their customer service.

    I wish new coming surface pro 4 is good and not screen shaking again like old one.

    I fail to see how replacing a model with issues, with the same model, is a solution.  I sincerely hope the problem does not re-occur.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-03T15:02:04+00:00

    it is good to know their customer service delivered.

    your story represents what is called 'planned obsolescence.'

    the new sp4pro will likely exhibit same or other issues in time.

    in my case, i had to return it the first week i purchased it.

    absolutely no touch response on the screen.

    the pen to this day stops working every 3-5 days or so.

    solution is to temporarily remove the battery and reinsert.

    real science. real device...

    i will finally move on from ms products.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-03T08:23:07+00:00

    Hello Everyone facing screen shaking,

    My big bro purchased Surface Pro 4 i7 512 GB 16gb ram since it came out last 2 years.

    1st, it faced battery draining problem during gaming but it resolved with windows update.

    Last 2 months, Screen started to shake vertically especially playing games, even with video or browsing.

    It also happens in UEFI Surface Logo screen. I tried a lot of solutions from community but nothing treat this problem properly.

    I contacted Microsoft Online Service but they recommended me to send it back to their store which is far away from my country, Myanmar.

    Finally, i sent it back to my bro in US who can make appointment with MS store.

    My bro went to MS store and showed screen shaking video that i took.

    Although it is out of warranty, they replaced with new one without demanding any cost (some says 450 - 500 $ for refurbished item or new one)

    They said it becomes common later. They don't have surface with same specs so they will send it back with mail to my bro.

    My bro thinks company policies change because it become more common than before.

    I can't believe it is so easy for my bro. 1st make appointment. then showed the video of screen shaking. then they will give the replacement with new via postal service.

    not only surface pro 4, also its dock (out of warranty) has a problem which can't produce sound when connected with mini display port. For that, they replaced new one too. So, I am very satisfied with their customer service.

    I wish new coming surface pro 4 is good and not screen shaking again like old one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-01T17:48:28+00:00

    I just moved back to my old Thinkpad and MacBook Pro for a while... a new Thinkpad will come soon! I have enough with this Surface Pro 4, my first of this kind and a total disappointment after 4 months of use!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments