Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T06:33:31+00:00

    Can anyone give me a mail address or link to which i can submit my issue and wait for a phone call from microsoft? because of course I don't wanna spend money for this phone call. Or is it too much to ask?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T02:17:11+00:00

    warranty is expired sir 

    You must be really lucky. I had contacted Microsoft too and even had their agent remotely connected to my SP4 to solve the problem. Lastly the offered me an out of warranty replacement which would cost me USD500. Can you kindly walk me through the process in

    how you get the replacement for free? Thanking you in advance.

    Nothing complicated, simple as I email to them, send them pictures, they requested me to do this and do that, until they are satisfied and nothing to do more, they offered me, twice. 

    The whole emailing process for troubleshooting was under the same guy and no remotely connecting done, he is really helpful and surprised me for offered me 'advanced exchange program' Maybe I was patient enough, just followed his instruction, simple as that.

    I see. Maybe I should try your route. Can I have the email address please?

    arvato digital services pte lt

    v-50darh*microsoft.com ( * = @)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T02:09:00+00:00

    warranty is expired sir 

    You must be really lucky. I had contacted Microsoft too and even had their agent remotely connected to my SP4 to solve the problem. Lastly the offered me an out of warranty replacement which would cost me USD500. Can you kindly walk me through the process in

    how you get the replacement for free? Thanking you in advance.

    Nothing complicated, simple as I email to them, send them pictures, they requested me to do this and do that, until they are satisfied and nothing to do more, they offered me, twice. 

    The whole emailing process for troubleshooting was under the same guy and no remotely connecting done, he is really helpful and surprised me for offered me 'advanced exchange program' Maybe I was patient enough, just followed his instruction, simple as that.

    I see. Maybe I should try your route. Can I have the email address please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-04T02:05:30+00:00

    warranty is expired sir 

    You must be really lucky. I had contacted Microsoft too and even had their agent remotely connected to my SP4 to solve the problem. Lastly the offered me an out of warranty replacement which would cost me USD500. Can you kindly walk me through the process in

    how you get the replacement for free? Thanking you in advance.

    Nothing complicated, simple as I email to them, send them pictures, they requested me to do this and do that, until they are satisfied and nothing to do more, they offered me, twice. 

    The whole emailing process for troubleshooting was under the same guy and no remotely connecting done, he is really helpful and surprised me for offered me 'advanced exchange program' Maybe I was patient enough, just followed his instruction, simple as that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments