Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-12T15:49:18+00:00

    PROBLEM COMES FROM CPU WILD OVERCLOCK

    please read below exactly ....100% this way will solve your problem

    Afraid not. Turning it on today it had dropped 5% while off claiming file manager running in the background, and after 45 minutes of browsing the web I lost another 16%. So call it 20% an hour, for a total of 5 hours... of BROWSING.

    That's with battery saver on and brightness at 20%.

    I bought this to for its battery life, and it is NOWHERE NEAR what microsoft promised.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-09T07:48:32+00:00

    Hi Marrion_Y,

    Sorry for the delayed response. I did all of the above things that you asked me to. I've not had a chance to use the Surface for an extended period of time since doing that as I've been away on holiday. I will report back tomorrow but on initial inspection (from a short burst of writing one email in 10 mins) it looks like it's still draining the battery at a rate of 1% per minute. So something looks wrong still but I'll confirm tomorrow. See the below screenshot showing a drop in battery of 8% (77% to 69%) in 7 minutes of Outlook use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-21T06:14:06+00:00

    Absolutely INSANE. Brand new Surface Pro 9, using it for the FIRST TIME. Paid nearly $2000. Battery life has gone from 100 to 60% in TWO HOURS. All I have done is set up--syncing with OneDrive and Adobe Creative Cloud, and some light web browsing. At this rate I'll get about 5 hours. On a brand new, $2000 Surface. And, this is my SIXTH Surface and none has ever had more than six hours of battery life. Is Microsoft outright lying about the promised battery life? The claim of 16 hours is absurd in the extreme. And no, I'm not doing anything dumb such as operating it in high heat. I have never abused any of my Surfaces or their batteries. I literally have not opened an app yet and the battery is down 40% in two hours. Much of that time was completely idle.

    WHY SHORT BATTERY LIFE??

    Is Microsoft still replying to this thread?? Microsoft, what do you recommend??

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-09T08:57:16+00:00

    I've had the same problem, I have the highest specced Pro 8 and battery life was an important decider, but it's horrible. It's not even 11:00, I've been working on it for 2 hours doing nothing but chat, and write tekst in a tekst program ... and we went from full to 66%. All drivers are updated, all updates are installed. It's getting worse compared to last month.

    Microsoft, please fix your insanely expensive product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-08T22:44:18+00:00

    I'm having the same issue. Here's a screenshot of the battery usage. I finished watching a video at 1 AM, closed the lid and left the computer until I needed it again this afternoon. Battery's COMPLETELY drained - while the device is closed!! What's up with that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments