Terrible Surface Pro 8 Battery life - Nearly 1% drained per minute

Anonymous
2022-05-02T08:28:47+00:00

I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-15T20:43:09+00:00

    Hi all,

    Today I have attached Microsoft Surface Pro 8 with Slim Pen2 to MS8. It seems that's causing very rapid battery level decrease. Having keyboard attached, screen on, no application launched, the battery dropped from 50% to 36% in 1.5hour. I have an impression, that without the keyboard attached it hasn't been so quick discharge...

    Pavol

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T23:35:54+00:00

    I bought a Surface Pro 8 a month ago and since then it has had terrible battery life. I've updated it whenever a new update was available but it's still giving me major issues. I logged in at 7:50am this morning and by 9:24 it had gone from 90% battery (I'm also not sure why 10% drained overnight while in hibernation?) to 37%. For an hour of that time I was on a Teams video call but I'm still seeing significant battery drain during other types of usage so I don't think it's because of Teams but I'm not 100% sure. Other things to note that I don't believe should impact it that much are that I had it on 100% screen brightness during that time because I find the screen disappointing dark (darker than my previous few laptops) and I had the surface keyboard attached and some bluetooth headphones attached to listening in on the Teams meeting.

    See the two screenshots below. Can anyone help because the laptop is clearly unusable if I can't use it for more than 2 hours on battery per day. I'm shocked at how bad my first Microsoft product is compared to the years of using Dell, Lenovo and HP with no issues.

    I purchased the Surface Pro 8 before leaving Australia and have moved back to Ireland so may have an issue claiming on warranty if I need it fixed?

    Image

    Image

    Hey folks:

    If you are facing quick battery drain, easiest way to fix is navigate to settings / control panel under Apps / Programs and uninstall all Microsoft Surface drivers software etc. and reboot then install the latest (In your case Carleast) click or copy and paste the following URL: --->

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=103503https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=103503STEP1%29STEP1) Download the Drivers Firmware
    STEP2) Uninstall all Surface Software from device - Setting --> Apps --> Microsoft Surface
    STEP2B) Reboot
    STEP3) Install the Firmware / software from previous download and reboot and test

    *NOTE* Everyone else do the same but make sure you download the right MSI pkg for your device.
    URL: Download drivers and firmware for Surface - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-18T07:02:11+00:00

    It's like a rubbish, I have the Surface Pro Gen 8 I7, I just switch on less than 2 hrs but 50% battery gone, keep asking the CS of Microsoft but they keep asking me to check the surface with their routine checking methods, then return, in these less than 6 months usage I already return and replaced the Gen 8 3 times, I just ask for refund and never go to Surface Pro again, wasting me time and money.

    Meanwhile, I ask for refund from Microsoft, they say they dont have this policy and keep on replacement, this is what their CS look like??

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-15T22:48:24+00:00

    I purchase a new Surface pro 8 as well and battery last only have a day not watch any you tube or video. I have old surface Laptop I can use a full day and still have some life last in my battery.

    I am think of returning the surface pro 8

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-09T18:29:33+00:00

    Same problem here. However, unlike everyone else on here, I use mine for exclusively for anesthesia school, so pretty much just Word, PPT, and internet. I do not watch videos on it or play games. The only extraneous (if you want to consider it that) program that I use on here is Spotify while I am studying. Even with the screen brightness turned down to 40%, I only seem to get about 4 to 5 hours out of it before I need to plug it in. So I am basically using it as a glorified typewriter and radio and am nowhere near 16 hours of battery life.

    I was considering looking into getting the battery changed, even though I bought it brand new less than a year ago. But it sounds like even that may not solve the issue as other people have the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments