Scanners that work with Microsoft ARM processer

Anonymous
2024-07-11T01:23:41+00:00

I bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop last week. Got everything set up and then realized my ScanSnap scanner was not working with the new laptop. I called them and they said none of their scanners work with the ARM Processer in my laptop. Does anyone know what brand of scanners DO work with the ARM processer??? This is a HUGE problem for me. I am almost paperless and scan things all the time.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-21T21:57:11+00:00

    I just bought a surface pro 11 with ARM and having the same issue connecting my ScanSnap scanner IX500. I called the company and the agent told me that the IX1600 would connect to the computer via Wifi instead of a USB cable. So what you said seems to confirm this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-17T12:50:29+00:00

    Good News.

    EPSON ES-50 portable scanner installed successfully to my Microsoft SURFACE 7 ARM today.
    G J A
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-30T22:16:08+00:00

    I do agree with you the Surface 7 has been rolled out without much thought of how people use a laptop. By itself it’s a great laptop, good battery life, good performance, and lightweight. BUT, I don’t want Co-pilot, my TurboCad design programs are now defunct and my three elderly all-in-one’s don’t work along with a handful of other programs. When I spoke to Microsoft they said that VueScan could not be given a signature, it was not within their policy. VueScan works although it does not print or copy. Canon said they had no plans to release ARM64 drivers. There is a Canon web page that names compatible printers with ARM64 compatibility and they are about 98% old printers that you might find on e-Bay. It is true that a lot of printer/scanners will work under Linux (closer to MAC OS) and I was seduced into installing WSL (Windows SubSystem for Linux). It was a rabbit hole, it took me about a month to work out how to use Linux, but then I discovered that CUPS had had updates so that old drivers would still not work. The Debian Linux I have got working is pretty wobbly and unstable and I would not want to trust my work wholly to it. In the end I settled for a small but new Intel laptop that is like a print/work corner of my home office, and the Canon grand-daddy bought in about 2013 is the centrepiece. Why is it so difficult for brilliant computer nerds to write ARM64 drivers? The entire thing is a b….y mess!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments