Can surface pro x sq2 run Minecraft Java and install recent versions of OpenGL ?

Anonymous
2021-05-13T18:20:11+00:00

I now that surface pro x can’t run several apps like Minecraft Java but now surface pro x has a new better processor it can run now run 64 bit apps and also surface pro x can now run games that uses OpenGl 3.3 but can i use recent versions of OpenGL on surface pro x sq2 ? 

If surface pro x was able to use OpenGL 4.4 I think that it will run Minecraft Java because OpenGL 4.4 is recommended for running better Minecraft Java on some PC’s

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T16:46:25+00:00

    They used legacy OpenGL API (like glRotatef, glLine, glBegin from GL11/GL20). Now you should calculate viewport on your CPU (the best way is using any library like mat4 in JS and make operations on matrix). On snapshot 21w10a they published "Using OpenGL 3.2 core now!" or sth like that. MS also asked lwjgl to port it to ARM64: https://github.com/LWJGL/lwjgl3/issues/601

    In version 3.3.0, build 8 there was some bugs and build 8, 9, 10 doesn't work on arm64, since build 11 it's possible to use it on arm64.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T15:58:23+00:00

    Did anyone try entering servers ?

    Yes, I tried both a Spigot server and hypixel.net. I can connect to both.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T14:26:58+00:00

    Did anyone try entering servers ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T12:48:53+00:00

    I prepared Minecraft 1.17 version: https://github.com/adiantek/mc-spx

    It's a native (arm64) version (without any emulation, etc.). Without Optifine I had from 20 to 40 FPS.

    And no, it's not possible to run 1.16 with arm64 until the compatibility pack update (with support older OpenGL versions) or rewrite 1.16 to OpenGL core.

    I haven't tried your instructions yet, but thank you so much for posting this! I've been trying to figure out how to get it working with the native Java 16, but hadn't figured out what I am doing wrong. Though I did think it had something to do with lwjgl since 1.17 now uses Java 16 (so it should work), but the log complained about lwjgl, so I was starting to look at what to switch to 3.3.0 arm64, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with this part.

    Edit:

    Ok I have now tried them. It took me a bit to understand I needed to select this version when creating a new install. Silly me; it makes perfect sense now. And it works!! Much better than using emulated Java, naturally. This will be very helpful to use as reference for future versions too.

    I'll have to do some more testing, as the first world I tried I'm not getting the FPS you are, though I did join a hosted server with a lot of buildings around where I left off. I have switched my device to the Insiders Dev channel, so maybe that's part of it. But it's definitely playable now though, which is simply awesome. This is the best news in a long time, and resolves what has been probably my only real disappointment with Windows on ARM.

    I didn't understand why it worked last week as I thought Minecraft used OpenGL 4.5 so when installing the OpenGL Compatibly Pack allowed it to run I was confused how that could be. But your explanation of "the game now runs using OpenGL 3.2 core profile" with 1.17 clarifies it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T04:56:34+00:00

    I prepared Minecraft 1.17 version: https://github.com/adiantek/mc-spx

    It's a native (arm64) version (without any emulation, etc.). Without Optifine I had from 20 to 40 FPS.

    And no, it's not possible to run 1.16 with arm64 until the compatibility pack update (with support older OpenGL versions) or rewrite 1.16 to OpenGL core.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments