Can surface pro x sq2 run Minecraft Java and install recent versions of OpenGL ?

Anonymous
2021-05-13T18:20:11+00:00

I now that surface pro x can’t run several apps like Minecraft Java but now surface pro x has a new better processor it can run now run 64 bit apps and also surface pro x can now run games that uses OpenGl 3.3 but can i use recent versions of OpenGL on surface pro x sq2 ? 

If surface pro x was able to use OpenGL 4.4 I think that it will run Minecraft Java because OpenGL 4.4 is recommended for running better Minecraft Java on some PC’s

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T21:34:48+00:00

    Hi Smash X,

    Thanks for reaching out to Microsoft Community and posting your inquiry.   

    The Minecraft Java Edition still won't run on Surface Pro X, the app's Windows system compatibility is **Windows 7 and up.**At this time, Surface Pro X will not install 64-bit applications that have not been ported to ARM64. 

    The Surface Pro X is a Windows 10 ARM based device. 64-bit (x64) apps would need emulation support to run. Without 64-bit emulation, only 64-bit (ARM64), 32-bit (ARM32) or 32-bit (x86) (using x86 emulation) apps/drivers will run on the device.

    If this answers your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-01T12:41:16+00:00

    Interesting development. I've switched my Pro X to the insider's dev channel, and now can load the  OpenCL and OpenGL compatibility pack insider's version of the app which works with any app (not just Photoshop). Now Minecraft will actually load! It's pretty slow to load, and doesn't run well, and uses like 80% of the CPU. I suspect this is partially because Java is running emulated.

    Image

    It still crashes with the native Java 16 pre-release version. I'm hoping when that reaches final release maybe it'll run decently. It could also be that the OpenGL compatibility pack is still limited to v3.3, but I'm not sure how Minecraft is able to load, as I thought that required v4.x

    I tried loading the Optifine 1.17 pre-release but that crashed.

    So not a final solution, but it's a bit of progress.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T15:48:20+00:00

    Ok also Minecraft Java needs a OpenGL driver to run but does this means that the sq2 processor does not include OpenGL?

    I'll be honest, I'm not sure if the OpenGL restriction is just for emulated apps, or if Qualcomm doesn't include OpenGL support in their drivers at all (leaving just the version 1.1 that Windows includes by default). If it's the latter, shame on them as the GPU is compliant with OpenGL 4.x from what I've been able to gather.

    That said, the OpenCL and OpenGL compatibility pack (available in the store) is supposed to solve this issue either way, but it's currently limited to earlier versions (OpenCL 1.2 and OpenGL 3.3). I believe it is still also currently limited to just photoshop unless you're running an insider build. However I hope/expect as the project develops it will eventually support OpenGL 4.4+ requirement Minecraft needs. The fact that you listed OpenGL 3.3 support makes me think you've already found this and possibly are running an insiders build.

    The other issue is native Java. However that is also being worked on (which is awesome!), see blog posts at Oracle and Microsoft. You can download early access release of JDK 16 from github. I've actually tried to load Minecraft using this (by modifying the launcher settings to use it instead of the bundled x86 Java binary), but it still crashes. I suspect it's because of OpenGL but I don't know for sure. Minecraft might not work on OpenJDK 16 yet.

    I don't think x64 (AMD64) emulation is required to run Minecraft, as I can currently install it and the launcher will at least load. It's really the other two issues.

    The other thought I've had is to use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux if you're not familiar with it) to run it when the GUI integration is released to stable builds of Windows (or maybe I'll give into temptation and switch to an insider build). I'm pretty sure the demos I've see of this were running GPU accelerated linux apps. There are guides to get Minecraft to run on the Raspberry Pi that I suspect would work for a WSL distro on the Surface Pro X (since it's still ARM64).

    The TL;DR version is not yet, but I suspect it may be possible in the near future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T05:07:53+00:00

    A version of OpenGL greater than 1.1 won't run on SQ1 or SQ2 Surface Pro X processors. This is due to the processor and graphics used by the device which is the Microsoft SQ1 Adreno 685 GPU or Microsoft SQ2 Adreno 690 GPU.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T00:55:07+00:00

    Thank you for your response, Smash X.

    Games and apps won't work if it uses a version of OpenGL greater than 1.1, or if it rely on "anti-cheat" drivers that haven't been made for Windows 10 ARM-based PCs. Check with your game publisher to see if a game will work.

    For reference, we suggest checking the Surface Pro X Compatibility.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments